cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Moving Gearboxes and motors .STEP workflow

MrRSquared
4-Participant

Moving Gearboxes and motors .STEP workflow

Hello,

I am a mentor for an FRC Robotics team, and though my focus is on programming, one thing we are working on this year is to work in CADD.  I have been working my way through the "How to Model Almost Anything" Tutorial.  This is an invaluable resource.  I am trying to learn CADD so I can teach our members. The tutorials are invaluable.  Thank you for the wonderful product.  It is really easy to use in general.

FRC and all of our vendors provide .STEP files for all of our parts, and what we would like to be able to do is use them to model our robots.  II have successfully imported a gearbox and attached a wheel, However, I am confused when it comes to working models of moving parts that I import.  I think I understand how to do this with .asm files, but when I import a gearbox or a motor, what is the best way to turn it into a functional model?

Thank you again.

~Mr. R^2 

1 REPLY 1

Hello,

When you are importing a STEP model, all the constrains are not going to come with the model, so the best way is to:

1. Import the model in Creo and save it as a new assembly

2. Create all the needed constrains to allow moves (use pin for rotation axes and slider for any translation)

3. Save the asm file and use it in the larger ASM as an individual sub-assembly.

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,

Alex

Top Tags