Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRO/E for Linux

PRO/E for Linux

I was excited to hear that PTC was offering its products to FIRST teams, especially since I knew PRO/Engineer runs on Linux, of which I am a happy user (Ubuntu Linux, more specifically). Sadly, however, the download link in Windchill seems to be for the Windows version. I was able to secure the Linux version of LabVIEW from National Instruments; would PTC be willing to extend a similar courtesy? I would very much appreciate it. P.S. Yes, it is too late in the build season to get much use from PRO/E; however, I would like to have it so that I can learn how to use it over the summer.
4 REPLIES 4

RE: PRO/E for Linux

Hi Brian, All the educational editions of Pro/E (including the Schools Edition) are only supported on Windows 32-bit systems. As for the support of Linux, PTC has discontinued support for Pro/E on Linux with the release of Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 4.0. This means, Pro/E Wildfire 3.0 (commercial) is the last release of Pro/E supported on Linux. Here is a link to the discontinue letter - https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?&n=137184 I am sorry, there is no plans to offer Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 3.0 Schools Edition that is supported on Linux. If you have any questions or concerns, please send me an email at - or call me at 905-864-0548. Thanks, Mark

RE: PRO/E for Linux

Ok then, thank you for your reply.

ProE for linux

I also am an Ubuntu user, and while I primarily run ProE in windows, I have been successful getting it to run in Ubuntu using Wine. ( http://www.winehq.org/ ) Also, this was the ProE schools edition available to FIRST teams. While it does install and run pretty well under Wine, the last time I ran it was with Wine version 0.9.43, and there were a few small issues, the reason for me to use windows, but I believe they have been rectified since that version (0.9.60 current) so you may try that route. If you want to try it (using Ubuntu), just search for wine in aptitude or synaptic. It should also run pretty good on top of a virtual machine, try VMWare Server, but this requires a copy of windows xp or 2000 and is quite resource intensive. -Erik
Highlighted

openSUSE

using cedega, wine, and crossover I have not been able to get pro/e running. It however runs fine on vmware server, and a windows 2000 virtual machine. W2K is available free to schools, through an obscure educator program. Hopefully, with vista, XP will be the same soon. It's a catch 22, I love linux, use it everyday, but most software that comes in a box, doesn't run out of the box.
Announcements
Welcome to PTC Academic!