cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

PTC Kit of Parts Compatibility

mtepermeister
4-Participant

PTC Kit of Parts Compatibility

Hi.

Is the KOP for the 2015 FRC game going to be released in a format compatible with both Creo 3.0 and Creo 2.0?

The reason I ask is that it seems that parts created in 2.0 are openable in 3.0, but when that part is saved in 3.0, 2.0 can no longer open it.

Our team has 2.0 installed on all of our school computers, and if the KOP is going to be released in 3.0 format, that would be awesome to know since then we can switch our computers to 3.0 before the season starts and everything gets crazy (In a good way).

Thanks so much,

~ Max Tepermeister FIRST FRC Team 2877 (The LigerBots)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Great question. PTC will be providing all KOP models in Creo 2.0 format. It would be too disruptive to release them as Creo 3.0 models since many teams have not updated to Creo 3.0 yet.

If you're still undecided, you can pick up Creo 3.0 @ http://www.ptc.com/communities/academic-program/k12/students/first/software

Creo+3.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Great question. PTC will be providing all KOP models in Creo 2.0 format. It would be too disruptive to release them as Creo 3.0 models since many teams have not updated to Creo 3.0 yet.

If you're still undecided, you can pick up Creo 3.0 @ http://www.ptc.com/communities/academic-program/k12/students/first/software

Creo+3.png

We were using Creo v2 up until December but have fully switched to Creo v3 and it's pretty seamless. The new import feature alone is handy for pulling parts in from AutoDesk and SolidWorks. We were able to easily use it to import the new 2015 KOP items from the SolidWorks files on usfirst.org.

We have Creo v2 and v3 installed on a couple of our machines just in case. But v3 has been rock-solid and we're planning to dump all our v2 work ASAP. One area we found that did not like switching was Windchill integration. We did all of our Windchill setup in v3. When I went back and loaded v2, it complained about the Windchill connection, but I was able to re-establish it. However, once I went back to v3, I could not get it to re-connect to Windchill at all until I deleted the v3 cache directory and restarted v3.

So really, v3 is the way to go. Seamless, stable, and a lot of nice new features.

Rande J.

Mentor FRC 4931 & FTC8620

Top Tags