cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

ProDesktop 8, Windows 7, extrusion problems.

ptc-4360506
1-Newbie

ProDesktop 8, Windows 7, extrusion problems.

We have moved the school from Windows XP to Windows 7 recently and now have a problem when trying to extrude. I should add that I support the IT in this school, and am not an expert in ProDesktop. I have tried a couple of options suggested on the forums here, (right-click, Run as Administrator, which the pupils can't do by the way, and disable graphics hardware acceleration) but neither of them work. I appreciate that ProDesktop 8 is an old program, though a well-used one, but i would appreciate any help the community could offer me.

6 REPLIES 6

Having done some more searching on the web I've come across a solution which appears to work for us.

I had to login to a machine as admin, run ProDesktop, disable graphics hardware acceleration, Open a New Design, create an extrusion, then close the program without saving. Log off as admin and log on as a pupil. The program then appears to run as intended.

It may be that somewhere along the line something else goes awry, but for the moment our D & T Faculty are happy. With the aid of two of the teaching faculty we were able to sort out a couple of IT suites in less than a half hour, which was quicker than preparing a new image and pushing it out to 60 machines.

On some systems Windows does not recognise the graphics Kernel in Pro|DESKTOP. This is sometimes occurs if you ar running Pro|DESKTOP and Creo/Pro|ENGINEER on the same computer.

This can be corrected using a bat file on the desktop each time you want to start Pro|DESKTOP. Email me for the file and instructions. -

Hi Timothy, and thanks for the suggestion, but we don't actually have Creo/Pro|ENGINEER in school, just Pro|DESKTOP. As far as I can see the course of action we took recently appears to have resolved the problem we were encountering.

We are running on Windows 7. Is this a permissions problem? We had the same problem with a user account. The application worked fine for the administrator account which had been used to install the software. I changed permissions for All Users on the installation directory and now the software works ok for the user too.

Problem occurs under Windows 8 too - and this magic spell appears to work there as well. How on earth did someone come up with this solution?

Thanks.

Hi Roger,

Are you trying to install Creo 2.0?

Thanks-,

Mark

Top Tags