cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Problem with importing automated mathcad files into creo

ptc-4224936
1-Newbie

Problem with importing automated mathcad files into creo

My team is struggling with Mathcad and Creo. We're following the tutorial but can't seem to get this sorted out.

We're using the Mathcad worksheets provided and have tried it seperately on two different computers to make sure that we're not messing anything up.

When we save the the wing_def worksheet, there should be an output of saved data of both the root and tip points. We're only getting the root file and not the tip so we're hitting a major roadblock there.

Additionally, when we tried it on the second computer on the wing_optimization worksheet there wasn't for the tip chord. It's missing from the end of the worksheet.

I will try to take a few screenshots this afternoon to include with this post that can better elaborate on our difficulties. I think the major issue is that the files that are supposed to be automated from the Mathcad worksheets aren't appearing. Maybe they're not supposed to and I'm just missing something major, but I'm not sure where to head at this point.

18 REPLIES 18

Please attach your Mathcad worksheet. Also, see my comment here: http://communities.ptc.com/message/172676#172676

I tried again to follow the tutorial this morning and these are the files. There still seems to be no output of the the root and tip profiles.

Hi Melanie,

On the RWDC Getting Started Page, you can find the RWDC Design Kit.

This kit includes all the necessary files needed for the challenge.

In addition, I have created a new design phase video that shows how to use this material.

http://www.ptc.com/view?im_dbkey=135016

As you will see in the video, entering the elements in the Mathcad worksheet will output to the files to the folder where the worksheet is saved to.

Please review the video and let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Mark

Thank you. We have been using the wing_def and wing_optimization worksheets from the RWDC_HOW. Should we use the ones from the Design Kit? It looks like they are the same?

We're entered the elements into the Mathcad worksheets but still no output. I will give it another try though.

I downloaded the Design Kit you posted and followed the part of the video for the wing_definition and wing_optimization parts.

When I got to the 1:04 mark in the video, the area of both wings was 160.357 but the area of just the semi-span of one wing is 7.449 which make sense. This happened previously to this time too and I'm not sure why. I included a screenshot for reference.

Thank you so much!

*Edit - Additionally, no files are being created as output like the video says should happen.

**Edit #2 - I checked the folder after a few minutes and the files were created as output! But the semi-span of the wing is still 7.449 which doesn't make sense.

Hi Melanie,

OK......from your screen shot I see the semi-area is shown a meter squared. Click on the m and highlight it and click delete then enter ft.

This will change the value of the semi-span to ft2.

Thanks,

mark

I can't belive I missed that! That's such an obvious thing but I managed to overlook it so thank you very much! I'm following the video you gave to create a wing in Creo now. It wouldn't allow me to create the wing geometry but I think I know why..

When I added the sketch to create close the gap for the root chord and pressed the "shade closed loops" button but never shaded anything in. It did when I did it for the tip chord sketch, but not for the root chord. I'm not exactly sure why but I'm trying to sort it out. But if I'm missing anything obvious please let me know. Thank you!

*Also, I did use the "highlight open ends" but I can't seem to find any open spots or anything abnormal? There's a constraint that looks like an S but I don't think that has any effect?

Hi Melanie,

If you are still having issues, I am happy to get on a call with you.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Melanie,

Send me the part file you are having issues with and I can take a look.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

I actually think we may have got it to work alright so far. We still need to run FloE on it though. The problems I was running into was when I tried to close the gap. Instead, I just went into the naca file and changed the endpoints to 0 and it worked just fine. But thank you! I can still send them to you but I'm hoping we should be ok for at least a few days...we'll see.

Also, we're now at the point where we desperately need to start thinking about the tail. Do we use something similar to naca files for that too?

Hi Melanie,

The tail will be the easy part. You are not responsible to design the tail. We will be using a new tailsizing worksheet and taking critical information from the wing to define the tail (vertical and horizontal). The defined dat file is defined, the sweep, twist, taper ratio is defined. We will be taking the definition of the fuselage (size) and the area of the wing you created to output the pts information for the tail. You would then use that to create your swept blend as you did for the wing and assemble it to the fuselage.

I am waiting for the tailsizing worksheets to be completed....which will be this week.

Once ready, I will prepare a short video to show the steps to create the tail.

BTW......the gaps you mentioned in the airfoil for the wing could have be closed using a sketch in Creo. Watch the design process video I created...I show this. Your step to close the gap in the dat file is also good.

Thanks,

Mark

Alright, thanks!

I'm trying to connect FloEFD with Creo but when I go to search for the protk.dat file under the MentorGraphics file it isn't there. My teamate also is having difficulty but his is a different problem. We're meeting today but was the protk.dat file somthing I should have downloaded? I've downloaded everything that I should have up to my knowledge, but for some reason it just isn't showing up.

The Program Data is hidden. Open Microsoft Explorer.

1.jpg

On Windows 7 you can click Organize > Folder and Search Options.

For XP it is under tools > properties

2.jpg

Click the View tab and then check the Show hidden files, folder and drives.

This will now show the folder for you.

Thank you for your help. I went to make sure that no folders were hidden, but I already had all the hidden folders shown. I attached a screenshot, but the file is still not showing up.

This is a screenshot of the folder when I try to bring it into Creo.

Hi Melanie,

From the screen shot I see you are running Windows XP. The protk.dat file that you need to point to will be in the following folder:

c:\documents & Settings\all users\appdata\MentorGraphics\FloEFD Pro 10\Wildfire 5.0\protk.dat

or

c:\documents & Settings\all users\appdata\MentorGraphics\FloEFD Pro 10\protk.dat

You should be able to navigate to this from the Microsoft Explorer window to confirm it exists.

Thanks,

mark

Alright thanks Mark! I found it!

Except now when I openned up Creo it comes up with an error. I included a screenshot of the error. I think you're actually on Teamviewer right now with one of my teammates.

Top Tags