cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Release of CREO Parametric 5.0

Kartik_Chopra
1-Newbie

Release of CREO Parametric 5.0

Hello all,

I have CREO 4.0 student edition installed, and I got to know CREO Parametric 5.0 was released.

Can someone tell me when will the Schools Edition of CREO Parametric 5.0 be released

13 REPLIES 13

I am also interested ...

Martin Hanák

Also interested. If possible I would like to teach Creo 5.0 next term, starting last week April 18, and allow students access to a compatible version on their own machines. 

Also will there be a simple upgrade from 4.0 to 5.0, or is it a new install?

Will any of the CFD and/or non-mark VR functionality be available in the student version?

best Wishes

cadcam
12-Amethyst
(To:cadcam)

I wondered if there was any update on release date for the free student edition Creo 5.0 and what it will include.

Best Wishes

@aabdulkarim

@Alex_Cazacu

Please check it.

Hello,

Sadly I don't have a date yet. I'm still working on including some of the new features into Creo 4.0.

I'll try to update you when we are starting the process, but this will not be too soon. As we always did, there will be a gap between the commercial release and the academic one. I'm doing my best to minimize this gap.

Thanks,

Alex

Thank you for the answer.

cadcam
12-Amethyst
(To:Alex_Cazacu)

Thank you for the info. The issue here is that the Academic version of 5.0 has been released, at least to us, and if we are to move it would be nice to give the students some indication of when the student version will be available. Our urgency is that we have a course starting end of April to all our first years in which we will be teaching material, including Sheetmetal, that they will use at the beginning of next year. We could stay with 4.0 but with some of the nice changes in 5.0*, and hopefully a student version of 5.0 before next academic year, it would make some sense to introduce 5.0 to the course now.

See also, https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Academic-Program-Discussions/Creo-5-0-Academic-Licence-What-is-included/m-p/542240#M9807. It would be nice to know whether what we currently have available with

our license is the final offering and what will eventually be available to the students. In particular the CFD and the new way of using AR, the latter offers some interesting educational possibilities.

Many Thanks

Hello,

All the Universities and Schools that purchase University Plus with maintenance, support and eLearning, get access to the new releases when we actually release them for the commercial market.

The problem is that the licenses are not yet fitted with all the new content that will be available, and the Student licenses are not yet ready.

Long story short, we need to create and apply the BOM of Creo 5.0 Academic (not ready yet) to the license that you already have and create the student and schools licenses.

If you need students to have access to Creo at home, you should stick with Creo 4.0 for a short time (untill we finish the student licenses for Creo 5.0). If you don't need the students to work at home, you can simply update and you will get the new features when they will be added.

Thanks,

Alex

cadcam
12-Amethyst

Thank you for the update, immediate access to a new release has been relatively recent to academia so the confusion about what is available.

Publication of  timescale for the availability of the BOM for Creo 5 would be useful when it is completed. I guess like any establishment we will often run projects to test new functionality with limited number of users/students prior to releasing teaching material to mainstream teaching.  In the academic environment this can often take more than a year, given understanding the resources, recruiting testers, running the test, refining teaching materal and then release at a break in the academic year. By which time the students are saying things like "why can't we try X", "this version has been out for Y months", "other packages have them".... Knowledge about potential capabilities/timescales is powerful to help academic/student planning  and keeping our IT support happy. Excessive numbers of  installations/updates, keeping multiple old versions active for upto 4-5 years etc on hundreds of platforms tends to reduce IT's collaboration over time 😉

Thanks again, look forward to seeing the proposed BoM for Creo 5.0, I hope things like the new exciting AR and CFD are going to be made easily available for students and teaching.

Regards

I can add here that CFD will soon be available in Creo 4.0 🙂 This one of the reasons we can't release academic versions of Creo 5.0, as we still are working on adding the latest cool features into Creo 4.0.

Thanks,

Alex

cadcam
12-Amethyst

Thank you sounds good. Can I confirm that the enhancement will require updating to Creo 4.0 M040 (we are currently on M020 and IT would rather do one install of 5 rather than M040 + 5.0) + a license change*?  * Will the change be 4.0 only and thus potentially stop any 5.0 unless we run multiple servers?

Also will CFD or a lite version of CFD be available in the student version? Again will it require students to reinstall or just a re-issued license?

Many Thanks

cadcam
12-Amethyst
(To:cadcam)

I wondered if there had been any progress with the release of new academic license files. We are fast approaching the middle of our CAD course this term and had hoped to

1) Introduce new sheetmetal improvements

2) New AR interaction

3) Intro to CFD.

in hte 2nd half. It now looks unlikely we can get the teaching material together in time but it would be nice to tell/demonstrate to  the students about  the changes and when they will be available so they can experiment before next academic year and/or use in the their projects over the summer.

Many Thanks for any feeeback

Regards

CFD is inside to Academic License Creo 5.0, 

Only that you need is activate in floating modules if your license has an update,

Thanks

Top Tags