cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Request Tetrix Bevel Gear in Pro/E

ptc-4285429
1-Newbie

Request Tetrix Bevel Gear in Pro/E

I am wondering when the Tetrix Bevel Gears will be available for download. When that happens, will the 2012 KOP be updated and noted revised, or where do we check for the additional content?

We're using these in our robot this year, and were hoping to have them

Thanks very much,

12 REPLIES 12

I'm not affiliated with PTC, but my bet is that you won't see models of these gears in the PTC KOP if they are not in the physical FIRST KOP for 2012.

If you happen to find specs on this gear (# of teath, pitch diameter, bore, etc.), I might try to find some time to model it.

But...as a mentor, I would encourage your team to try modeling one. This is a fantastic start...http://www.box.net/shared/ahhcczagcg

Realistically, consider the use-case of your gear in the actual model. What does it have to do? Does the proper adendum and dedendum have to be in there? Is involute toothform required? (If you're creating an injected molded part off your model, you do need all this and more).

P.S.,

please share the model with the group if you get it. If you have problems, please share that as well.

Good Luck!!

Thanks Joshua, Our team is pretty novice with this type of CAD. It would be a good experience, but I doubt we could make something that had the quality that the community would find acceptable. Then a professional-grade model might come out the next day because I know that PTC was given the actual part by the manufacturer and had some level of interest in modeling it. It's an issue of priority for such as small team we have.

That article is really interesting. This is the part: http://www.legoeducation.us/eng/product/tetrix_bevel_gear_delrin_bearings_2_pack/2302

If/when we come across it, we'll post a link here.

Thanks,

Hi Ken,

I appreciate your concern over the quality of models, but I also encourage teams to use this forum for learning and sharing. At this link (Bevel Gear), you will find something that I put together that might represent your bevel gear. Of course, you'll probably want to take a pair of calipers and take some simple measurements to get the general size correct. The primary concern with gears is that you get the center distances correct.

On review of the original link I posted (http://www.box.net/shared/ahhcczagcg), that is really a very detailed and accurate representation of a gear for something like casting or injection molding. I wouldn't really suggest a student attempt this, but then again, I've run across students that will pick this thing up and run with it.

I hope this helps and I'm really happy to see you on the forums. It would be great to see the rest of your team here as well.

Well, we made a beveled gear, and it should be pretty exact (mates with holes in existing Kit Of Parts channels, for instance), except we didn't model the teeth as having curved sides. So, it looks a little different. It's perfect for our use, but some may have needs for greater accuracy.

I'd be interested to hear if the IGES file is OK, because of who did the model it was actually created in Autodesk Inventor.

tetrix_gear_bevel.jpg

Hi Ken,

that looks fantastic! The IGES file came into WF5 Student just fine. The only thing I did to the attached file is add material (steel) and add some axes that may or may not be helpful.

There are only two cases I can think of that would require an accurate involute tooth profile.

1. If you are manufacturing from the CAD file (Die Cast, injection mold, Investment cast, etc.)
  2. If you are exporting the model to a 3rd part gear analysis system.

I still think it would be nice to have a Library in Windchill so that we can share stuff like this and easily dump them into our own projects.

Thanks!!

Josh

AdamHaas
1-Newbie
(To:JoshH)

All,

I have taken the IGES file and made a native Creo Elements/Pro model of it. If you can let me know which steel to apply, I can do that and post it.

Thanks,

Adam

JoshH
3-Visitor
(To:AdamHaas)

Whoah! Nice job modeling the gear Adam!

From this page, it appears that it's an aluminum gear. Since I'm guessing it's die-cast, I'll assume it's A380 aluminum.

I applied the material to the Pro/E file that Adam created and it is attached to this post.

By the way...I named the features as well since I'm a bit of a stickler on those. So I'm to blame if my engineering abbreviations don't make sense.

Thanks,

Josh

Yes, I can confirm that the part is die cast aluminum.

I'm hoping that the credit for modeling the gear can go to our FIRST FTC team, Antipodes, #4529. We're actually attempting to use these gears in our drive train. Don't know how they'll perform yet.

Thanks for everyone jumping on cleaning up and professionalizing our model so quickly. I'm impressed!

Ken

I could not have done it without your help! Thanks so much!

Gentlemen,

Sorry for the late response on this. If someone has a drawing, specs or 3D model of the gear, I would be happy to create it in Creo. Our group has some of the FIRST models but we do not have a CAD or even physical copy of this part to work from.

Regards,

Adam

JoshH
3-Visitor
(To:AdamHaas)

Thanks Adam.

I'll post a link on this thread if I have any updates on this gear.

(by the way...also testing to see how many notifications this creates. I got four notifications for the last couple of responses.)

Josh

I got multiple updates, too. I also generated multiple updates last time because I kept getting a message saying that there was an error and it couldn't post my reply. I kept trying to submit it, and kept getting an error. However, when I went to the thread each submission was there. I simply deleted all the redundant replies I had generated.

Ken

Top Tags