cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Schools Ed WF 5.0 M040 -- only using 1 CPU core?

DaleMahalko
1-Newbie

Schools Ed WF 5.0 M040 -- only using 1 CPU core?

Tsk tsk, looks like this software is not multithreaded very well. Spinning around the PTC Academy / Aston Martin model using "enhanced Realism" brings my computer to its knees, takes a second or more to redraw the 1680x1050 screen as I spin the model around.

And what do I see on the Windows XP Task Manager? PTC is only using 25% of the system capability to do this, which means it is single-threaded.

Listen PTC, with multiple cores, assign 1/n of the display area to a core (4 cores = 1/4 th per core), and have them divide up the work. Checkerboard division of the screen (say, 100x100 pixel blocks) will deal with distribution of large blank/used render regions better across all cores.

Wildfire5-only-uses-1-cpu-core.PNG

1 REPLY 1

Hmm, looks like some of it is threaded, and some isn't. The Render View, does manage to max out all cores to 100%.

Though it would be better if live spinning with Enhanced Realism were threaded too, since that affects the design process.

render-multicore.PNG

Top Tags