cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

student licenses for FRC

ptc-1093195
1-Newbie

student licenses for FRC

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum, so by way of background - I am a 2nd year FRC engineering mentor, and a long-time (20+ years) Pro/E user. The team that I am mentoring had never used CAD before (the school does not offer any classes that use CAD). Last year I downloaded the free license of Creo that PTC gives to FIRST teams onto the team's lab computer, and the kids showed some real interest.

This year, I'd like to get the kids more involved in using CAD, but a question has come up. The other mentors believe (and I agree) that it would be helpful for the kids that are intersted in CAD to have a copy of the software on their laptops so that we don't all have to share the one computer. There has been some talk of switching to another CAD software that hands out multiple licenses. Of course, we don;t have anyone that knows the other software. Can I just have several of the kids download the student version of Creo? Is use of the software for FRC an acceptable use of the student license? Are there any limitations built into the student version that make it less useful for FRC? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2

I would go to www.usfirst.org, select FRC, then Resources, follow the CAD link to CREO, which take you to this page, http://www.ptc.com/company/community/first/teams.htm

The site tells us the CREO is available to all FIRST FRC Teams, and if the students are infact using the software on their computer to create and share drawing files for development of the team robot. that should work under the licensing agreement. But, this is a great question. I will follow the lead to see what else is said about this.

Also, I am setting up Windchill to have my student save and collaborate on their drawings.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:ptc-1093195)

Hi,

No problem. Glad to hear the team is interested. One or all the students can request their own copy of Creo from the FIRST Teams page on www.ptc.com. They will have access to almost all the capabilities in Creo with their annual student license.

A copuple of considerations...

• The license code can only be used once, so each student should request their own
  • The download is big. ~4gb. Make some time and make sure you have a good connection to download
  • The software will run on most machines, but really likes to have an OpenGL compatible graphics card
  • Windows 8 is supported
  • MacOS is not directly supported. Mac users will need to dual boot or virtualize a Windows environment
  • The Help Center comes on a seperate download, so be sure to download and install if you want it
  • Files created with the student edition cannot be opened in the commercial software, only student software

A couple of learning resources...

Have fun and be sure to stop in once in a while to let us know how you're doing

Top Tags