cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Can't post due to Error: "Message cannot exceed 20,000 characters."...but I only entered 3725 chars

LawrenceS
18-Opal

Can't post due to Error: "Message cannot exceed 20,000 characters."...but I only entered 3725 chars

I tried updating the following document with some additional information:

Although I could edit it the website wouldn't let me save it and got the following error:

• "Message cannot exceed 20,000 characters."

Yet, when I copied and pasted the contents into Word and count the characters I get

• 3725 characters (including spaces)

When I look at the "source code" in HTML I get

• 80,287 characters (including spaces)

Based on this I am thinking that it is rejecting my edits due to HTML being ridiculously verbose.  Is this intended?  Can the limit be increased?  Can you have it count text only instead of HTML code? Anything else that can be done?

It is noteworthy that I only added a few lines and it was otherwise as the post existed prior to me touching it today.

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AndrewK
Community Manager
(To:LawrenceS)

Hi @LawrenceS, unfortunately you are correct, and HTML is counted towards the limit. We may be able to have this limit increased, but it isn't an issue that comes up often, so we haven't pursued that before. I will bring it up with the community team. In the meantime, there is a way to circumvent this limit. I'll message you with the details.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AndrewK
Community Manager
(To:LawrenceS)

Hi @LawrenceS, unfortunately you are correct, and HTML is counted towards the limit. We may be able to have this limit increased, but it isn't an issue that comes up often, so we haven't pursued that before. I will bring it up with the community team. In the meantime, there is a way to circumvent this limit. I'll message you with the details.

AndrewK
Community Manager
(To:AndrewK)

@LawrenceS just wanted to give you an update. We had the character limit raised substantially, so this shouldn't be an issue in the future.

Thanks again for your help with this @AndrewK!

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"
Top Tags