cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Is it just me?

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Is it just me?

Is it just me who feels that the new default font and its grey color (at least it doesn't look black, maybe because its so thin) is less clear and less legible than it used to be?

13 REPLIES 13
olivierlp
Community Manager
(To:Werner_E)

Not just you. You may have noticed that earlier today, we published a new home page - different design. During the process, the Community was unexpectedly unusable for about one hour (sorry all about that). We fixed the problem without having to roll back. But there are still a few things to adjust. 

We are now reviewing the several changes that you noticed on the rest of Community and will fix them soon. Thanks for your patience! 

Olivier

Thanks for the information. But the font change I noticed not just today but already a while ago.
What I noticed today was the change in the top bar with the bell and letter icon. It may make more sense to position them near the users avatar. One may argue about the new, less obvious but also less intrusive design. May be a matter of personal taste and not of big importance, of course.

@olivierlp wrote:

Not just you. You may have noticed that earlier today, we published a new home page - different design. During the process, the Community was unexpectedly unusable for about one hour (sorry all about that). We fixed the problem without having to roll back. But there are still a few things to adjust. 

We are now reviewing the several changes that you noticed on the rest of Community and will fix them soon. Thanks for your patience! 

It's been a while now and we've seen a few changes.
The green for new postings has been swapped for a more pleasing but much less recognizable blue - no improvement.
The green bell and envelope went from green back to white - that's a little better.
But the default font in the postings is still poorly readable. So this aggravation seems to be intentional - that's a pity IMHO.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW, does this irritating blue border is here intentionally or is it another forum hick-up?

Werner_E_0-1651805883583.png

AndrewK
Community Manager

That blue box in the editor window should be fixed in the next couple of days. In addition to the homepage updates we recently had a designer review of the community for accessibility. They recommended we keep the grey text as well as going back to white in the header and the blue links you noticed. Thanks for the feedback. We are continually reviewing and updating the site.

Thanks for the info

I regret to read that your designer considers this poorly readable font suitable for body text. IMHO its not.
BTW, the font color seems to be black anyway, it's just the unsuitable font that makes it appear so light/grey and thus severely affects readability.
I understand that the overall aesthetic impression of a page may be more pleasing due to the light, thin font, but if you are used to actually reading the texts, then the assessment looks different again 😉

According the blue links. Yes, in former times it seemed to be standard that links have to be underlined and blue.
But the blue chosen here is really hard to distinguish from the black in not new messages as you can see in the screen shot.

I also noticed that when the page loads the blue is a lighter one and so better visible, but after the page finished loading, the blue turns darker as shown in the screen shot below. We can tell thats it  a link mainly because its underlined and we can tell thats it a new unread message by the bold topic.

Werner_E_0-1651855369527.png

BTW, in the screen shot you can see that an old bug still is not fixed. After you posted a reply this very post is flagged as new/unread for you which is quite silly and wrong as a posting of yourown never can be new and unread for you. Its a bit irritating to have to remind that you must reload the browser page after you sent an answer to avoid this to happen.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I don't see the gray so much?Except in the "quoted area"? Your's looks like the font is all gray.

StephenWilliams_0-1651854509371.png

AndrewK
Community Manager
(To:StephenW)

It's a dark grey #3d3d3d if you're interested. 

AndrewK_0-1651854833249.png

@AndrewK wrote:

It's a dark grey #3d3d3d if you're interested. 

AndrewK_0-1651854833249.png

Ah, I changed the color to black and i didn't notice any/much difference, so I thought it would be black by default.
But as already written the problem for me is not the color, which I guess is dark enough, but rather the thin font chosen.

I agree that quoted text even looks a bit lighter.
I already wrote that the text in the message bodies actually is not gray but its black. It just looks very light because of the default font chosen.

For comparison reasons here is some text in standard Arial

and here is Tahoma

and here in TimesNewRoman

I guess you notice the difference in appearance but here is a screenshot (for reasons unknown to me it looks a bit blurry) as its displayed here while writing as it may be browser specific, too.

Werner_E_1-1651855834122.png

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I agree, I think the screenshots makes it look extra bad. I do also agree that your last screenshot illustrates well what you are refering to.

Addendum:

Here is a screenshot of another subforum where the blue for the links is much lighter and better distinguishable.

Werner_E_1-1651857763015.png

Can it be that the blue gets darker if there is only one new/unread posting available?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Yeah, I definitely don't like the hyperlink colors either...

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:TomU)

Now it looks like it got even worse. Not only that the dark link color is hard to distinguish from the normal text color and not only that the hard to read sans serif lightweight body text seemed to be come to stay, now a thread which i just read is still marked as unread and I have to set it read manually by  clicking this option at the upper right in the overview.

EDIT: OK, at least this problem seems to be fixed in the meantime. Just tried again and it worked as expected. Reading a thread makes it marked read.

Top Tags