cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Links to attachments on the "Resource on Reporting" topic don't work

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

Links to attachments on the "Resource on Reporting" topic don't work

The "Resource for Reporting" topic found here is a page that was migrated from the old Jive community. It contains several links to attachments that no longer are valid, including ones like this:

https://community.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/8686-2-111791/ADMINISTRATIVE_Total%20EPMDocuments%20and%20File%20Size%20by%20Context.qml.zip

Were the attachments migrated over? If so, is there a way to update these links so they are valid again?

12 REPLIES 12

Hi Lori,

that document has another issue, because it's no longer editable even for me (I'm the author).

I had already notify moderator, but haven't got any answer.

Marco
LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:Marco_Tosin)

Marco,

I have found that page to be extremely useful in the past. Here's hoping we can get it back to a working state again! 🙂

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:LoriSood)

I would say that is highly unlikely.  Lithium has no concept of documents and allowing posts to be edited indefinitely is a problem (for other reasons.)  Maybe @Jaime_Lee has some other suggestions.  It would be good to find some way to keep the collaborative documents collaborative (without having to move them to a different site.)

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager
(To:TomU)

@LoriSood

Hi, we are setting special roles for people that have a PTC Business reason to edit a post after 24 Hours.

Non-employee posts can send the Notify Moderator a message and if there is a valid community reason we will help update the conent.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:Jaime_Lee)

@Jaime_Lee With regards to the page I originally mentioned, what do I need to do to get the invalid links updated? I don't have the attachments that the page references. I'm assuming they may have been lost when we migrated to the new community. Is there a way to recover them?

Hi @Jaime_Lee,

in my previous comment of June I made a mistake citing you, so I believe you didn't receive it.

Have you got any answer about it?

Thanks

Marco

Hi Jamie Lee,

I have long waited to write after your answer.

The reason why I decided to wrote this document https://community.ptc.com/t5/Windchill-Questions/Resource-for-reporting/m-p/448738#M53001 should be clear.

Since the old community site was migrated in the new community it is no more possible to edit the document, so we lost the chance to add the new query builder reports that comes near every day from PTC's support.

Some days ago I was notified that the status of this idea https://community.ptc.com/t5/Windchill-Ideas/Query-Builder-Report-PTC-have-to-share-what-TS-do-about-it-with/idi-p/462725 was changed, but we are far from having an alternative to my document to share new reports.

Has you can see, at the moment, my document was read near 22,000 times, so I believe I have the right to ask how we can still add new reports that so many users have read and download.

Marco

@Jaime_Lee

My last two comments are still unanswered.

I think many users in the community would like to know if you are doing something to allow the modification of old documents or what alternative to follow to get the same result.

In addition to community users, there are also many PTC employees who use regularly my document 

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Windchill/Resource-for-reporting/td-p/448738 so I think I'm entitled to ask for your response.

In the meantime, the number of views of my document has exceeded 25,000 by far.

Marco
Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

@Marco_Tosin  and Community.  

The Community Team has heard you!

I apologize for the delay.  There were some PTC internal inquiries about some of the content on this post that I neglected to follow up on.  If you have been following the Community Announcements board (PLEASE SUBSCRIBE), you know there has been lots of activity to improve your Community experience!

This is what we are doing to resolve Marco's issue.

A) I moved this awesome post to the Windchill Tips Board.  This allows me the ability to grant extra permissions to community members like Mr. Tosin to edit an important resource like this.  Note:  I can't give this to everyone, but your 25,000 views of this document has ranked Mr. Tosin to a trusted editor status 🙂

B) This post actually originated in a former community platform.  The community platform is throwing an error message when updates are made because the new platform does not allow as many characters.  All of the informative links and many characters are exceeding the number of characters allowed for 1 post.  Solution:  Marco and I will work together to break this post into "digestible" snippets so you will have multiple posts from Marco that provide valuable information instead of just one.  You can subscribe to all or just the ones you want to focus on.

Thank you for surfacing, and re-surfacing these issues. This is exactly what this Community Feedback board is for.  The Community Team is reading them and prioritizing community updates based on what you tell us.  

@Jaime_Lee

first of all, thank you for the trust you gave me with the superpowers. Smiley Happy

It was already my intention, because of the limit of 20,000 characters that I had already discovered at the time of the last attempt at modification, to divide the document into shorter parts.

Until now, however, I had not tried because of the other limit of 24 hours for the modification of a new document because, as you can imagine, it is virtually impossible to achieve it in such a short time.

Now the thing has become possible and so soon I'll start the work.

My idea is to keep the same subdivision, creating a document for each corresponding section of the original one, gradually eliminating the various links and references.

Before starting to work on it, however, I would also like to hear any suggestions on how to proceed from other users of the community.

Marco

Hi Jamie_Lee,
it took two years to prepare the work, but I did it in my spare time, anyway I finished checking every single old link to see which are still valid, the ones that have changed and the ones that are no longer valid (and in the meantime also the links to PTC support items have changed at least twice).

In addition, I have divided the document into several parts, which I have yet to publish in the community, so that each document is well below the threshold of 20,000 characters.

Now that the preparatory work is finished I ask you if I can proceed with the publication of the various posts for the categories below:

TIPS and TRICKS
ADMINISTRATIVE REPORT
CHANGE MANAGEMENT
EPMDOCUMENTS
PROMOTION and WORKFLOW
PARTSLINK
PROJECTLINK
WTDOCUMENTS
WTPARTS
TROUBLESHOOTING
Business Reporting
SuMa

At the end of the publication I would also like to modify, if you agree, the original article by deleting all the various links and, if possible, all subsequent comments, inserting in their place the link to all new posts published.

In this way those who were used to use the old article would still have it available with links to new posts.

Let me know how to proceed.

Thank you.

Marco
Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

@Marco_Tosin   Editing the original post and making it a "jump page" to the separate threads sounds good to me!  Thank you for all your hard work on this!

Top Tags