cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Opinions on Email Notifications from Jive versus Lithium

BenPerry
13-Aquamarine

Opinions on Email Notifications from Jive versus Lithium

Fellow Community Members,

Did you subscribe to email notifications in the Jive system?  Have you already re-subscribed to the email notifications in the Lithium system?  I have some opinions on the differences between the email notificaitions between the two systems.  Perhaps some of this can be configured, and some cannot.  But maybe this topic can get a conversation started about email notificaitons.  You may agree, disagree, or bring up additional points to consider.

Here are my thoughts:

• I liked how Jive had the community name in brackets at the start. It helped for organization, so I knew the context of the conversation.
  • I liked how Jive has the username in the “from:” email, so we could easily tell from the inbox who sent the message.
  • There is so much non-value-added information in Lithium subscription emails, such as:
    • “(PTC User Community Subscription Update)” in the subject.
    • The header of the email body that says the <username> posted a new topic, or a reply to a topic, in XX location, with the timestamp. Doesn’t the email already have the timestamp anyway?  And if the "from:" had the username, like Jive, this would all be unnecessary.
    • Some of the NVA information is the same. But if it was formatted differently, or organized in a different manner, it would be more readable, like the Jive email notifications.
    • To be frank, it is more ugly.
  • Some posts have pictures embedded. In the Jive email notification, there was reference to this. The email wasn't included in the email, but at least you could see a hyperlink to it.  However, in the Lithium email notification, there is not a hyperlink.  So you don't know there is an image.
  • I noticed how “quoting” comes through in the email notification. Not very well. I guess there is a little “dhermosillo wrote:” section. But it is not blatantly obvious it is a quote. And it also doesn’t show where the quote ends, if it is multi-paragraph. Is that 2nd paragraph part of the quote or not? (If you read it, you can tell in this instance. But that is probably not always the case.)

Email Notifications from JiveEmail Notifications from Jive

Email Notifications from LithiumEmail Notifications from Lithium

Example of how Quoting appears in the email notificationExample of how Quoting appears in the email notification

4 REPLIES 4
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenPerry)

Ben, it's driving me batty as well.  I haven't even tried to organize the emails yet in hopes that Toby can adjust the email subject to include the source area...

I agree, the notifications are a big dissapopintment.  You've summed up my thoghts well.  Too much unnecessary info, poorly formatted and hard to read quickly.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

@BenPerry thank you for voicing this and as @TomU has mentioned, I will look into the customization of the emails.

Best,

Toby

BenPerry
13-Aquamarine
(To:Tmetcalf)

@Tmetcalf,

Futher on this topic, I am wondering about images embedded in posts.  Jive didn't have this functionality, but it appears that Lithium might be halfway there.  Please see the 2 screenshots below.

In the first screenshot, someone gave me kudos on my post.  A copy of my post was in the email.  And it included my embedded images.

In the second screenshot (a reply to a posted question), Jeff has some images embedded. But the images don't come through in the email notification.

I can understand that some people would not like to have images come through.  So maybe it could be a preference.  But it would certainly be a lot nicer to be able to see embedded images in the email notification.  Do you think it is possible?

image of my post with embedded images coming through in the email notificationimage of my post with embedded images coming through in the email notificationimage of Jeff's post without embedded images coming through in email notificationimage of Jeff's post without embedded images coming through in email notification

Top Tags