cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Start a Topic problems

LawrenceS
18-Opal

Start a Topic problems

There have been 2 problems for starting a topic that I think need addressing:

Problem Possible Solutions  
1 Start a topic button is not available on every topic section.

a) Make available on any page on PTC community.

b) Make available on all the Label pages (e.g. "Detail Drawings") when you drill down into a topic.

2 Labels are required but no suggestions are given as to what is available

a) click on field and opens up a window with all possible labels hierarchically organized and allows the user tor drill down

b) Change Labels to a drop down list.

c) Change Labels so auto fills as you type (this would be more useful than current but you still wouldn't know what is available unless you went through all the letters of the alphabet!)

3 What are message tags vs labels

a) Hover over text to provide explanation.

b) help button to click that takes to a page with explanation.

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jaime_Lee
Community Manager
(To:LawrenceS)

Sorry for the delay. 

This is very good feedback. 

See my answers in blue.
@LawrenceS wrote:

Start a Topic is part of the "board level" functionality. And, I do have some set up strategically like Community Announcements reserved only for PTC to the Community.  Others (like Tip Boards) we are still trying to organize plans around highlighting community member contributions.  Can you give me examples of the boards or community content areas that are missing the "Start A Topic" button that you would like to see added?

b) Make available on all the Label pages (e.g. "Detail Drawings") when you drill down into a topic.  Labels are not "board level" in which the functionality  "Start a Topic" is set up for.  This, however, is a great suggestion and I am happy to submit the inquiry in the platform's idea exchange as a feature enhancement.

a) click on field and opens up a window with all possible labels hierarchically organized and allows the user tor drill down

c) Change Labels so auto fills as you type (this would be more useful than current but you still wouldn't know what is available unless you went through all the letters of the alphabet!)

Labels are a bit of a mess still.  We went through a process to use a script to move content from the "incorrect" location to the next and it is a very manual process to detach and reattach the correct label for the new board it is living.  I am working with an intern to go through and edit all the labels. The Community Champions have been really helpful to help identify (in addition to Product MGMT thoughts) on what the correct labels should be.

We are setting up the labels to be "predefined" which means the ONLY ones available going forward with the ability to choose will be from a predefined list.  Everyone that starts a new topic will be forced to pick from a short list. Integrity is a good example of labels that only show the "pre-defined" labels and not user defined which has made the labels VERY LONG with the other community content boards.

.integrity_labels.jpgintegritylabelsrevised.jpg

Yes, I think we need a "Help Post" on labels for Welcome and How To's.  https://community.ptc.com/t5/Welcome-How-To-s/bd-p/WelcomeHowTos

Lithium definitions: 

TAG:  A type of metadata involving the association of descriptors with objects.

LABEL:  Labels are used within a community to help categorize articles in a variety of discussion styles; forums, blogs, Q&A, ideas, TKBs.

@LawrenceS  Would you like to write a help post for us?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@Jaime_Lee, can you comment on this?

Thanks, Lawrence

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

Sorry for the delay. 

This is very good feedback. 

See my answers in blue.
@LawrenceS wrote:

Start a Topic is part of the "board level" functionality. And, I do have some set up strategically like Community Announcements reserved only for PTC to the Community.  Others (like Tip Boards) we are still trying to organize plans around highlighting community member contributions.  Can you give me examples of the boards or community content areas that are missing the "Start A Topic" button that you would like to see added?

b) Make available on all the Label pages (e.g. "Detail Drawings") when you drill down into a topic.  Labels are not "board level" in which the functionality  "Start a Topic" is set up for.  This, however, is a great suggestion and I am happy to submit the inquiry in the platform's idea exchange as a feature enhancement.

Labels are a bit of a mess still.  We went through a process to use a script to move content from the "incorrect" location to the next and it is a very manual process to detach and reattach the correct label for the new board it is living.  I am working with an intern to go through and edit all the labels. The Community Champions have been really helpful to help identify (in addition to Product MGMT thoughts) on what the correct labels should be.

We are setting up the labels to be "predefined" which means the ONLY ones available going forward with the ability to choose will be from a predefined list.  Everyone that starts a new topic will be forced to pick from a short list. Integrity is a good example of labels that only show the "pre-defined" labels and not user defined which has made the labels VERY LONG with the other community content boards.

.integrity_labels.jpgintegritylabelsrevised.jpg

Yes, I think we need a "Help Post" on labels for Welcome and How To's.  https://community.ptc.com/t5/Welcome-How-To-s/bd-p/WelcomeHowTos

Lithium definitions: 

TAG:  A type of metadata involving the association of descriptors with objects.

LABEL:  Labels are used within a community to help categorize articles in a variety of discussion styles; forums, blogs, Q&A, ideas, TKBs.

@LawrenceS  Would you like to write a help post for us?

@Jaime_Lee  Thank you for your response, and I apologize for not replying sooner.  I seem not to be getting any emails anymore from PTC community, even stuff I am contributed too (I would like to get this stuff).

1. I just checked several pages and all the pages that I clicked on seem to have the start a topic.  Is this something you improve since my post?  If not then I will have keep my eyes open and report back if I find it.
  2. Glad to hear you are working on the Labels!  Sounds good!
  3. Although the lithium definitions are useful, I am still not clear on it so definitely would not be able to write a post (especially not the TAG part).

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

Testing lscheeler's notifications

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager
(To:Jaime_Lee)

Hi, @LawrenceS 

I checked your subscriptions under My Settings and you seem to be properly subscribed and should be receiving a community mailer.  Please check your spammail/junk  and let me know if this is not the case.lscheelernotifications.jpg

Also,  with my test post just now your notification bell is showing that yes there is one unread post for a topic you participated in. My recent post to you showed up on your feed AND every other post you participated in is also listed if you take a look.You do have to "log" in to see these if you are not seeing the community mailer which we need to investigate.lscheelernotificationbell.jpg

lscheelernotificationfeed.jpg

No, I did not add new "Start a Topic".  There are certain boards where the "Start A Topic" have been intentionally removed, but general "public" boards have always had Start A Topic.

I appreciate you looking out to see if there are boards that "should have" start a topic and do not.

I did not get an email notification. And it was not in my spam.  A coworker does get his emails so I don't think it is company thing either.

Top Tags