cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Creo is NOT Creo/Elements Pro

DamianCastillo
1-Newbie

Creo is NOT Creo/Elements Pro

I am creating this post due to my frustration with the confusion caused by PTC with their naming changes recently.

Creo/Elements Pro 5 = Pro/ENGINEER

Creo = Creo

I see many people are still confused by calling Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5, Creo. Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5 was renamed Creo/Elements Pro 5. Creo/Elements Pro 5 is not the same as PTC's new CAD suite called Creo. They are two completely different things.

Many people when asking questions about Creo, get responses on Creo/Elements Pro 5 which is like asking someone a question about Lexus vehicle and they give you an answer based on a Toyota.

I also find Youtube videos claiming to show something realted to Creo and when I open the video it's actually Creo/Elements Pro 5 which is NOT Creo.

This is not the end users fault and more PTC's fault for rebranding Pro/ENGINEER as Creo/Elements Pro and not allowing it to retire with any respect for it's original name that it held for 25 years.

Creo/Elements Pro is Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire with a new name. I refuse to call Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire, Creo/Elements Pro.

Creo on the other hand is PTC's new CAD software that is based on the same Kernel as Pro/ENGINEER (Creo/Elements Pro), but it's a completely new software.

This is why Creo started back at Number 1 for it's version.

Creo 1.0 is NOT Creo/Elements Pro 5.

OK.

I feel better now.

I don't blame the end users for the confusion, but just wanted to get this off my chest.

LOL

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"

32 REPLIES 32

Simple, PTC can call it what they will - creating tons of confusion and
loss of market share. The users continue to call it Wildfire whatever
and Creo newbie- no confusion. Now we just have to make the "genius" who
thought this Creo "branding" was a good idea, see the havoc being
wreaked throughout ProE land and get them to change it.

Richard A. Black

Lead Design Engineer

Eaton Corporation

440 Murray Hill Road

Southern Pines

NC 28387 USA

I agree 100%, I am finding much frustration in using search engines to
find info specific to CREO and get results for the "other". PTC really
screwed up on the name change of Pro/E. I don't mind the new product
being called CREO but they should have left the old stuff alone.

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Damian Castillo
<-> wrote:
> I am creating this post due to my frustration with the confusion caused by
> PTC with their naming changes recently.
>
> Creo/Elements Pro 5 = Pro/ENGINEER
>
> Creo = Creo

Allow me to be the devil's advocate...

You are all just being conservative. Apart from the new name being a
bit long, there is not much to complain about.

Back in 1995 Mechanica was bought by PTC. The interface totally changed
because the software was integrated with Pro/Engineer. The name changed
to Pro/Mechanica. Now it is part of the Pro/* "suite". I'm sure noone
will complain about this anymore, it makes sense to us now.

Same with Pro/Engineer, it will now be a mere subset of the Creo/*
suite and therefore be called Creo/Something.

You better all get used to it because it will not go away.

Regards,

Patrick Asselman

/sarc

No please, don't change it again! Who knows what they will come up with!

/sarc

BTW, regardless of the name change, we still call "creo elements / pro 5" --- "pro27" in house.

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company

124 Hidden Valley Road

McMurray, PA 15317

Also, to make things more confusing (to us as well), I just looked and most of our option licenses are reporting as v31.0, except for NC-check reporting v29.0

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company

124 Hidden Valley Road

McMurray, PA 15317

Anyone remember "Haloid", how about it's new name "Xerox". How about
"Datsun", that's now "Nissan" so I guess it does work!

But then there is "accenture" which was Andersen Consulting post Enron,
and "Altria" - the new "Philip Morris" without blowing smoke and "Xe"
better known as "Blackwater" of the itchy finger so maybe it doesn't
always.

Richard A. Black

Lead Design Engineer

Eaton Corporation

440 Murray Hill Road

Southern Pines

NC 28387 USA

But as far as I know, a Datsun Cherry you’d bought two years previously didn’t suddenly become a Nissan Cherry…

Jonathan

cfly
4-Participant
(To:DamianCastillo)

Except that WF 5 was already out there by the name 'Wildfire 5'. Then, they
introduced a brand new version (akin to the old Pro/E vs. Wildfire). And
they changed the name of something that was already known by one name and
wrapped it up into a brand new product with a different name. They didn't
call Pro/E 2001 (or whatever the last version was before WF) something new,
like Pro/E 2001/Wildfire. THAT is confusing.

Applied Research Labs
University of Texas at Austin
Carol Fly
Mechanical Designer
(512) 835-3397
Fax (512) 835-3259

And my Datsun 120Y did not stop being a piece of junk...

The big difference here is that PTC changed the name of a 25 year old product before they could retire it. Datsun became Nissan. Pro/ENGINEER became Creo. Nothing wrong with that.

But PTC had Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 4 and then Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5 which was later renamed to Creo/Elments Pro 5.

25 years of Pro/ENGINEER and they could not let it retire with any respect. They changed the name and confused many people on what Creo/Elements Pro is vs. the new Creo platform.

I have no issues with the new Creo name. Just the fact that they changed the 25 year old Pro/ENGINEER to some confusing name mid stream.

A simple name is better moving forward especially for doing Google and Youtube searches. But the confusion they added with rebranding the Pro/ENGINEER software to Creo/Elements Pro is terrible.

When we finally upgraded to Creo 1.0 and I sent an email announcing that it's coming to my end users. I had many of them reply with confusion. They told me that we already changed over to Creo, so what is going on now? Well, they actually got Creo/Elements Pro which is really Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire and though that Creo was a shortened version of the name.

When they opened Creo 1.0, they realized this was a completely new animal and it was not Pro/ENGINEER.

Grrrrrrr.

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"

All of this name changing and re-branding is just a worldwide ploy by sales and marketing people everywhere. It's meant to confuse consumers into thinking they're buying something new and exciting when it's just the same old boring stuff.

Tim Knier
QG Product & Support Engineering
QuadTech
A Subsidiary of Quad/Graphics
Sussex, Wisconsin
414-566-7439 phone
-<">mailto:->
www.quadtechworld.com<">http://www.quadtechworld.com>

to avoid confusion just refer to the CAD system as:

Pro/Creo/Fire/Engineer

what name of CAD system do you put on your resume?

i really dig having to search about 8-9 criteria in google to try to find some tips:

*pro/e

*pro\e

*proe

*pro wildfire

*wildfire cad

*pro/engineer

*creo

*creo elements.

*pro/WF

et

etc

funny, Solidworks hasn't changed the name of their CAD system. just think the number behind it corresponds to the year of release...maybe PTC should take notes.

Quiz, what year was WF 3.0 released?

Some history is retained nevertheless:-

This is not the end users fault and more PTC's fault for rebranding Pro/ENGINEER as Creo/Elements Pro and not allowing it to retire with any respect for it's original name that it held for 25 years.

as we are reminded of a great heritage every time we use the menu manager in Creo 1.0 to tune (some would say set-up) the hatching in a drawing section view ;=)

John Prentice

You missed a good one… remember Goldstar (think low-end Radio Shack electronics)? Their new name? “LG”.

mheath
5-Regular Member

Committee on Recently Extinct Organisms.

Ironic ain’t it?

Huh.

Here all along I thought it stood for 'Commence Revenue Extraction Operation'

In Reply to Michael Heath:

Committee on Recently Extinct Organisms.

Ironic ain’t it?

http://creo.amnh.org/

TomU
23-Emerald IV

The confusion even extends into PTC's knowledge base. Articles for VERY old releases show up as part of the "new" Creo. Here is an example. Since when was 2000i part of the Creo Parametric Direct and Layout product?

1. When Saving a Drawing in a Linked Session of Pro/ENGINEER, the Error Message: 'Write Acess Denied' For All Family Table Instances That Are Not Checked Out" Appears.<">http://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=107806>
...a user saves the drawing in a linked session of Pro/ENGINEER release 2000i or 2000i2, the error message: " 'write access denied' for all family table instances that are not checked out to the Pro/INTRALINK Workspace" appears. Pro/ENGINEER...

"find and replace all"

This brings to mind a sensitive point. I have been told by my VAR that my ProE Foundation licences and ASX surfacing extension licenses are NOT UPGRADEABLE to Creo, even though I have paid maintenance every year like a good (but maybe dumb) boy since my initial ProE license purchase. They tell me if my customers need me to upgrade my systems to Creo I will have to buy all new Creo licences brand new at a cost of several tens of thousands of dollars. Has anyone else had the same experience? Is this truly PTC's approach or just another sales pitch / money grab from my VAR? After being a paying customer of PTC for many years (and many tens of thousands of maintenance dollars paid) I didn't expect to be treated like someone just off the street buying their first license. Maybe I'm just naive. Best regards Jeff Dayman

Your Pro/E license should upgrade to Creo Parametric. If you need/want Creo Direct you will need additional licenses. That's my understanding, I'm waiting for Creo 2.0 before trying it.

In Reply to Jeff Dayman:

This brings to mind a sensitive point. I have been told by my VAR that my ProE Foundation licences and ASX surfacing extension licenses are NOT UPGRADEABLE to Creo, even though I have paid maintenance every year like a good (but maybe dumb) boy since my initial ProE license purchase. They tell me if my customers need me to upgrade my systems to Creo I will have to buy all new Creo licences brand new at a cost of several tens of thousands of dollars. Has anyone else had the same experience? Is this truly PTC's approach or just another sales pitch / money grab from my VAR? After being a paying customer of PTC for many years (and many tens of thousands of maintenance dollars paid) I didn't expect to be treated like someone just off the street buying their first license. Maybe I'm just naive. Best regards Jeff Dayman

Jeff,

For what it's worth, that's what I and others within my corporation were told too; however, I have found that my WF 3.0 + licenses work just fine with Creo Parametric. I think the PTC sales force is trying to capitalize on the confusion around the name change to sell additional product. Don't fall for it.

John

You need to talk to PTC about this because I think your VAR is confused. Any current PTC software you have is upgradable to the Creo version if you are on Maintenance.

In Reply to Jeff Dayman:

A PTC rep was here yesterday and mentioned that Creo should release mid
March.

Just for the record. I have no issues with the new Creo name. As in the REAL Creo 1.0

I just wished they would have left Pro/ENGINEER alone and just retired it as Pro/ENGINEER.

I see some are making some funny abbreviations for the word Creo but here is what it really means.

Creo is the Spanish word for "I create", "I believe" or "I Design". Depending on how it's used in a sentance, the word Creo means all 3 things. I think it's a fitting name for a CAD program.

Just saying.

Having one word will make it easy to search on Google and Youtube but that was all killed with the rebranding of Pro/ENGINEER. Another user posted examples on why it was so hard to search for topics or videos related to Pro/ENGINEER and calling the new software Creo moving forward would have made things easier. Now it will remain confusing because you will search for Creo and find Creo/Elments topics which is not what you want.

A missed oppourtunity to make it easy for users to search about your CAD Software PTC. It's too bad that the decision makers did not think this through.

You need to change VAR's.

We have 2 foundation licenses that were upgraded to CREO Parametric
with no issues. Something is fishy.

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Getty, John (ES) <-> wrote:
> Jeff,
>
>
>
> For what it’s worth, that’s what I and others within my corporation were
> told too; however, I have found that my WF 3.0 + licenses work just fine
> with Creo Parametric. I think the PTC sales force is trying to capitalize
> on the confusion around the name change to sell additional product. Don’t
> fall for it.
>
>
>
> John
>
>
>
scooke
4-Participant

Michael

Was there an upgrade cost?

I have asked this specific question and this was the answer from my VAR
(Only one in South Africa so I don't have much choice!)

Quoting:
"To answer the second part. on upgrades:
We can upgrade from Creo Foundation to Creo Parametric, it sells for R20,000
(based on USD of R 😎 and requires that your maintenance be up to date on
the package before we can upgrade it."
End quote

In spite of the above he also is quick to explain that there is no such
thing as Creo Foundation to buy as a new user. But any functionality missing
from your ProEngineer foundation license will be missing in Creo if you move
on to Creo without paying the upgrade fee detailed above.

Examples of this would be the Design Animation module and Surface which are
now included in Creo. It is not in my foundation license because we bought
in at Version 19. I have not paid maintenance since WF2, but even if I had
the additional functionality in Creo Parametric would still not be available
unless I upgrade.

Depending on when you bought your foundation licenses you might not even
notice any loss of functionality.

The issue of legacy as PTC re-bundles things is a sore point for me. When
we bought, I was forced to buy Pro/WEDM and Pro/Turn in the Pro/NC MFG
bundle even though I knew I would never use either of them. I pleaded
unsuccessfully to buy NC/Mill stand alone. Later on NC/Mill was sold stand
alone, with additional features we did not have access to and this after
years of me paying maintenance (at the higher cost) for software I have
never touched. When I moaned I was told to buy a new seat of NC Mill and
abandon my NC/MFG license, then I could enjoy the benefits of the additional
features!! IT was at that point that I stopped paying maintenance!! Leaves
a bitter taste and played a part in recently abandoning the NC Mfg License
and buying a machining package from a different supplier.

Their reasoning is apparently that the additional functionality has an R&D
cost and I should have to pay my share of that if I want the additional
functionality. There was no suitable answer given when I asked what portion
of my maintenance paid faithfully over many years went towards their R&D,
nor why I had paid a higher price for a less effective product than was now
being offered at a lower price! This is not a good example of how to reward
your loyal customers. (Note that having not paid maintenance since WF2, I no
longer count myself as a loyal customer!)

This upgrade cost to Creo Parametric is simply more of the same strategy but
surely a better way to develop loyal customers would be to offer maintenance
paying customers what ever is in the new package when they re-bundle the
software to match what ever they have to do to compete in the current
market.

Regards

Steve

Dmi3U
15-Moonstone

I can't count how many times I had to correct myself and heard other people doing the same, by calling
Creo - PROE. So, I guess the name is: "PROE, sorry Creo"

In Reply to Damian Castillo:

I am creating this post due to my frustration with the confusion caused by PTC with their naming changes recently.

Creo/Elements Pro 5 = Pro/ENGINEER

Creo = Creo

I see many people are still confused by calling Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5, Creo. Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5 was renamed Creo/Elements Pro 5. Creo/Elements Pro 5 is not the same as PTC's new CAD suite called Creo. They are two completely different things.

Many people when asking questions about Creo, get responses on Creo/Elements Pro 5 which is like asking someone a question about Lexus vehicle and they give you an answer based on a Toyota.

I also find Youtube videos claiming to show something realted to Creo and when I open the video it's actually Creo/Elements Pro 5 which is NOT Creo.

Creo/Elements Pro is Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire with a new name. I refuse to call Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire, Creo/Elements Pro.

Creo on the other hand is PTC's new CAD software that is based on the same Kernel as Pro/ENGINEER (Creo/Elements Pro), but it's a completely new software.

This is why Creo started back at Number 1 for it's version.

Creo 1.0 is NOT Creo/Elements Pro 5.

OK.

I feel better now.

I don't blame the end users for the confusion, but just wanted to get this off my chest.

LOL

At least they changed the order of the vowels. Imagine if it were "Croe"?

Your assumptions of grandfathering in the new functionality to existing
users would make sense if you are trying to build good will and expand
your userbase. If however you see your userbase and total market as
basically fixed and mature you would not grandfather in existing users
to the new licensing scheme, but extract as much revenue as possible
from the existing users.

Remember the fiasco (in my eyes) around the whole restructuring of
licenses when PTC went to 'Foundation'? You could either pay me now
with higher license renewal fees for stuff I already 'own' with lower
maintenance costs, or pay me every year in increased maintenance fees
for software with fractured feature sets.

The change to Foundation was supposed to simplify and reduce the
different combination / permutations of modules.

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company
124 Hidden Valley Road
McMurray, PA 15317
PH:724.941-5540
FX:724.941.8322
www.fpdcompany.com
Top Tags