Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LiveWorx 2018

Re: LiveWorx 2018

For an on-time maintenance paying customer and conference attendee, PTC ignoring any comment I make is par for the course.

PS: I doubt the maintenance fees we pay cover Jim's income taxes!

One other note - if you decide to share any ideas (including here), be prepared for PTC to 'reappropriate' them as they see fit. Two words which, to me, will never be forgotten: Drone Arena.

Challenge accepted, PTC. What's that dish best served cold? Hmm. I can't remember.

How many years has it been in Boston so far?

2013 - Anaheim

2014 - Boston

2015 - Nashville

2016 - Boston

2017 - Boston

2018 - Boston

2019 - Boston? year 4 of 5

2020 - Boston? year 5 of 5

I wouldn't be looking for them to go anywhere else anytime soon. They are moving their headquarters within walking distance of the conference center. https://www.ptc.com/en/news/2017/ptc-to-move-global-headquarters-to-boston-seaport It's down by the Whiskey Priest Pub. I couldn't imagine having to drive downtown everyday for work, and parking is a mess.

Hopefully Boston will be extending a subway line to that part of town to serve the many businesses.

A 12 minute walk to South Station is too long in Boston winters.

Hello Ben,

Please accept my apologies for a late response - recently back from maternity leave and missed this thread over the summer and the responses in between.

We are in Boston for the foreseeable future. I'm happy to explain this decision with full disclosure:

Keeping the event in Boston year after year has allowed us to put a lot of energy towards improving content, speakers, and the attendee's overall event experience. We get this feedback in front of our executives every year and due to the amount our event has grown and Boston as the IoT and Innovation Hub, we come back to this being the best decision for our customers. (Also addressed in this blog.)

Another major factor is we have substantially grown our international audience and for most traveling internationally, Boston is a universal destination for flights and accommodations.

We absolutely understand Boston having a price tag attached to it for your companies and negotiate hard with hotels and worked on our pricing model to deeply discount rates starting early withe our "Early Bird" specials.  In years past there was barely a ticket less than $1,000 and we offered a lot less at the event. Until the end of the week, there is actually $600 in savings, less than a $1,000 per ticket, and allows for major savings by registering early. I also realize most registrants are waiting for sessions to be released before registering - the session catalog will be released in early February. However, we do offer a full refund for registrants up until April 15, 2018, should the content not support your time out of the office. 

We have taken the feedback year after year and worked hard on making this event possible for everyone - mostly improving our pricing model and offering negotiated hotel rates. And to address the internal policy for PTC employees - We have changed our own internal policy in recent years and there are hundreds of PTC employees who commute into Boston for these few days either by driving in or taking the shuttle bus we provide to cut major costs in Travel and Expense as we would incur in the past. Some employees "buddy up" in hotels if their schedules and duties on-site are overwhelming enough to warrant a stay in the city.

I'm happy to address any further concerns and hope this "full disclosure" gives an overall better understanding of our decision to be in Boston year after year.

As always Ben, appreciate your feedback.

Jen

Jen,

Thank you for replying. Personally I do recognize the advantages of PTC hosting in Boston and in fact since I'm in the northeast, it works for me as well but I also recognize that it wouldn't necessarily work for everyone else. Also, since you brought it up, the speakers the last few years have been a complete waste of my time. I love the Mythbusters, but their talk had nothing to do with my use of PTC software, and even less for Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He's a really good actor, but my company didn't spend the thousands of dollars it cost for me to be entertained or "educated" by someone like last years speaker from Girls who Code. Last year was a slight improvement in my opinion in scheduling IoT vs. CAD centric topics but there is simply too much fluff.

Highlighted

Jen,

Congratulations on the baby! Hope mother and child are doing well.

I found out yesterday that PTC LiveWorx will not be in the budget for this year.

I do see PTC's point about being where the center of IoT is located for the conference, but there is also value in hosting the event around the country to allow more people to attend who can not afford the expense of Boston. There are other cities that are international hubs for the foreign customers to fly in to and attend the conference. Orlando, Los Angeles area, Las Vegas or Reno, Dallas, Detroit, Washington/Baltimore etc all have conference facilities and the travel/hotel accommodations available for a conference of this size.

I also agree with the other comment added last night. Too much fluff not enough meat. I enjoyed Mythbusters and Reshma's talks, they did not provide me or my company any value in return for my attendance. Bring in keynote speakers who can highlight how PTC products have improved their business. Speakers who can give examples of something they have done out of the ordinary with a PTC product that may trigger a spark in our minds as to a way to improve the way we use our PTC products.