cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Could Windows 7 be the Culprit? (Install issues)

EricScheer
1-Newbie

Could Windows 7 be the Culprit? (Install issues)

I'm having issues installing the latest Student Edition of Creo Elements/PRO 5.0. At the beginning of this semester (almost two months ago), I was able to seccessfully install and use the Wildfire Student Edition on my desktop PC at home. It runs very well. However, I picked up a new laptop a couple weeks ago, and I'd really like to do work in places other than my room, but my installation gets to 1 or 2 percent and it freezes with the status of "copying files." I've tried leaving it alone for a couple hours to see if it improves, but it doesn't. The second green bar is full (100% download supposedly), but when the install freezes, I have to manually close the program from the Task Manager. I've tried multiple configurations and have uninstalled/installed many times and have even created a second account in an attempt to troubleshoot, but I'm having no luck.

I'm running Windows 7 on the laptop (64-bit). The PC with the working copy is running Windows XP. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I have the license '.dat' file on the laptop, which was generated during the install attempts. If I try to get a new license, it tells me I'm maxed out with both accounts now. I really hope someone can give me other suggestions.

-Eric Scheer

Student at STCC

9 REPLIES 9

If you have the option to download the full DVD for install, do so. I have heard of issues with trying to do the web install.

Hope that helps,

Tim

The full download worked splendidly. I had started downloading it previously, but had to keep pausing it while I jumped between networks. Your solution is much appreciated.

Eric

I am experiencing the exact same challenge as Eric, but am not given the option for a full DVD download. Any ideas what else might help me get Creo installed? I am running W7 in 64bit mode, trying to install the right version and have plenty of memory. The issue is that it stops at 1% or 2% like it did for Eric.

Thanks.

Kurt

Kurt,

Which edition of Creo are you attempting to install? Since this is posted to the University Program forum I assume a University edition.

The DVD for Schools Edition (for college or university students) can be downloaded here: www.ptc.com/go/license4schools-uni

Regards,

Adam

Thanks Adam,

I have accessed the PTC site for this, entered my computer's MAC address and am waiting for an email that contains information I need to download the DVD. At least that is what I assume I am waiting for.

Will this be different than what I have downloaded before? What I downloaded before was one compressed file that had Creo for 32bit and Creo for 64bit, with a small text file. That file appeared to download fine, but upon installation it would hang up at 1% or 2% during the "copying files." Where there missing files in that .zip download? I look forward to trying it again with the information I am waiting for.

I will let you know what happens and thanks for the help.

Kurt

Kurt,

My bad! I gave you the wrong link, so sorry.

This is the DVD: http://apps.ptc.com/schools/WF5_Schools-UNI_DVD.zip

Thanks,

Adam

Thanks again Adam. This makes me feel better, as the projected dowload is over 5 hours and much different than what I had done before. Once I download this is the installation pretty straight forward?

Thanks again.

Kurt

Hello Adam,

I finally got it dowloaded and installed, but am not sure if it works. I tried downloading some existing models and they did not display. I am not sure if this is because of the limitation of ActiveX in my Firefox browser or if the student version doesn't let me see work from other versions. Is there a way I can make sure the program is working as it should? Is there a site that would let me download models that I could open withthe student version?

Also, during the installation process it connected me with the ptc site briefly, but didn't ask for any other verification of having purchased teh student version. Could that be what is missing? Or, maybe all is good and I just don't know how to open existing models.

Thanks for your help.

Kurt

You sent me a sw_license.dat file but I am not sure what to do with that. Maybe this is what i need to be able to see models. What, if anything should I do with that file?

Thanks again.

Kurt

Top Tags