cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Creo 2.0 Open or New dialog box very slow on some student computers

jloverich
4-Participant

Creo 2.0 Open or New dialog box very slow on some student computers

I am trying to figure out a problem that has been plaguing us here at Western Dakota Tech for some time now.  We are using ~30 student editions and it only happens on the computers of one or two students every semester and I have not been able to narrow it down to anything common between these computers.

We are using Creo Parametric 2.0 M050.

When they click the Open, New, Assemble, or sketcher pallet buttons the dialog box starts to come up and then it just sits there and thinks – sometimes for 1 or two minutes before it comes up and lets them continue the process.  Every now and then Creo will just completely crash when using these dialog boxes.  It’s like something is getting stuck whenever Creo needs to access a file from the hard drive.  Creo starts normally and no other programs have problems with the open process.

Is this a known issue with a fix?  Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this are appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Hi,

sometimes crashes are caused by graphic drivers. Set following config.pro option to test Creo without OPENGL.

graphics  win32_gdi

MH

Martin Hanák
cadcam
12-Amethyst
(To:jloverich)

Where are the students storing their files, locally or on a remote server?

We have periodically seen similar problems, originally with Pro/E and now Creo, working across the net. Our class size can be 90+ and sometimes I believe there can be a lag across the link. It looks like Creo does a  lot os stating of files and sometimes this can overload a server/network. I think, but perhaps someone from PTC could confirm, that Creo expects an answer within a limited timeframe, ( at least some operations). If a response takes longer, the network gets partially clogged with requests or the system crashes. We notice that if the system is slow at any point trying to do mouse operations rapidly, or use a mapkey with a series of commands can crash Creo (Pro/E).

Circumstantial evidence I am afraid, but I have heard of similar issues elsewhere.

jloverich
4-Participant
(To:jloverich)

Martin and Peter,

Thanks for your suggestions.  All of these installs are on each student's laptop, so we can rule out network issues.  I'll have a few of the students with issues try Martin's option and report back.

Top Tags