cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Creo 2 - Install Trouble - Product Code box gray

lschroeder
1-Newbie

Creo 2 - Install Trouble - Product Code box gray

I am trying to install Creo 2 on one of our team's laptops, Dell Precision M60, NVIDIA Quadro FX Go700. I have a clean install of Windows XP Professional SP3. I am logged in as Owner / Administrator. I have Windows Firewall and my Anti-Virus software both turned off. I am connected to my Home Network via Ethernet port, Belkin Router, with Firewall turned off. I have downloaded the installation DVD, applied for and received a Product Code from PTC.

When I attempt to install Creo 2 from the DVD the instructions work as advertised up to the point, Step 6 in the e-mail, where I attempt to Accept License agreement. The box to enter the product code is grayed out and I am unable to enter the code.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Lance,

This happens for one of the following reasons:

1. The server does not have outside Internet access.
  2. The account being used to install the software does not have administration rights.
  3. The setup.exe file is not being run “as administrator” (right-click on setup.exe and select Run as administrator from the pop-up menu.
  4. Firewall or Virus protection is preventing it (temporarily turn these off during installation).
  5. Port-blocking not allowing traffic to the PTC server.

It appears you are doing everything correct, however, I don't know of another reason. if your problem is being caused by something else, I would love to be able to add it to my list.

We could do a couple things:

1. Try connecting the laptop to another network, just to see.
  2. Open a call at http://www.ptc.com/go/academic-support and someone from our team create some license files for you. You will have to also provide the Host ID of each computer if we use this method.

Regards,

Adam

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Lance,

This happens for one of the following reasons:

1. The server does not have outside Internet access.
  2. The account being used to install the software does not have administration rights.
  3. The setup.exe file is not being run “as administrator” (right-click on setup.exe and select Run as administrator from the pop-up menu.
  4. Firewall or Virus protection is preventing it (temporarily turn these off during installation).
  5. Port-blocking not allowing traffic to the PTC server.

It appears you are doing everything correct, however, I don't know of another reason. if your problem is being caused by something else, I would love to be able to add it to my list.

We could do a couple things:

1. Try connecting the laptop to another network, just to see.
  2. Open a call at http://www.ptc.com/go/academic-support and someone from our team create some license files for you. You will have to also provide the Host ID of each computer if we use this method.

Regards,

Adam

I attempted to use the new DVD on a different desktop computer attached to the same wireless network. With that computer I was able to enter a Product Code. So, I think the network may not be the problem. (I didn't complete the installation on that computer).

I did open a call at the academic support center requesting license files for the two CAD laptops we are trying to create for the team. Of note, the HostID download worked on my personal laptop, but not the two CAD laptops. So, even with the firewalls and the AV turned completely off, something must still be being blocked. I found, and sent the physical address of the wireless adapters with ipconfig.

I will try to bring the laptops to a different network to eliminate my network as the problem.

Thanks again,

Lance

The license files I received from the http://www.ptc.com/go/academic-support call worked!

Thanks,

Lance

Hi Lance,

Has this DVD been used for an install before? If it hasn't worked before, you might try a fresh download of Creo 2 to the computer you're installing it on, unzip and try again.

Has an attempt been made to install Creo 2 on this computer before? If so, uninstall if possible and delete any Creo 2 directories, then reboot and try again.

Also, are you using Simple or Advanced License Entry? I'd switch between the two and also try just dragging and dropping the license file if you have one.

Josh

AdamHaas
1-Newbie
(To:JoshH)

Thanks Josh, I can add those to my list.

In the past I have seen someone not extract the zipped DVD but rather just browse into it using Windows Explorer and try to install from that (without extracting the data first). This also might cause the product code box to be gray.

I have used the DVD before successfully. But, to eliminate the disc as a possible problem, I downloaded the files and created a new DVD. Unfortunately, I had the same result.

I have tried to install Creo on this laptop before, but I haven't gotten past the Product Code, and I didn't find any Creo files on the laptop.

I do not have a license file to try.

Switching between Advanced and Simple doesn't appear to affect anything, the Product Code box remains gray.

I'll try again later from a different network to see if I have a different outcome.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

Lance

If you want to try having a license generated for you, you'll have tofollow the instructions above.

ChadM
1-Newbie
(To:AdamHaas)

I am having the same problem with a grayed out box.

I downloaded the dvd files, then extracted all of them to a folder. I have tried running setup.exe as administrator, and it did not make a difference.

I have a laptop running win7 64bit. I have a commercial version of PROE CREO installed also through my work, but need the academic for mentoring First teams with robot design.

JoshH
3-Visitor
(To:ChadM)

Hi Chad,

Nice to see another =SE= FIRST mentor here!!

Are you installing in a directory that is different than the corporate PTC directory?

I doubt it's there, but maybe check and see if Creo 2 is listed in the installed programs.

I've fixed this before, but obviously it was just dumb luck.

-Josh

ChadM
1-Newbie
(To:JoshH)

HI Joshua,

Yes, I have a different folder created for the extracted files.

The only thing I see when looking for Creo inside control panel -> programs and features -> is the "Creo thumbnail viewer 1.0"

I don't recall the previous version of the academic version being this difficult to install!

AdamHaas
1-Newbie

This happened to me just yesterday when installing Creo 2.0 on our Hands-On Workshop computers. In my case, it was the Microsoft Security Essentials Real Time protection. After I turned that off, and restarted the install, everything was good.

Hope this helps.

ChadM
1-Newbie

Did a support request, and got a license .dat file emailed from PTC, and then I was able to drag and drop the file into the license source box during the setup. The install worked

Launched Creo parametric and direct and get message that the Capture.JPG

and Creo closes when click OK.

WHY is this this difficult!

AdamHaas
1-Newbie

If Parametric runs, Direct should also. Any chance you turned off your wireless card, or added another network card to the computer after installation?

The license is tied to the Host ID of your #1 priority network card. If that card is disabled or the priority changes, the license will not work.

You could also open a call at http://www.ptc.com/go/academic-support, someone on the team could use Team Viewer to jump on your computer and get you setup. From the support side, the free Creo 2.0 installation and licensing is better than it has ever been. The volume of downloads/installs we are getting are up dramatically and the installation issues are way down.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Adam

ChadM
1-Newbie

Neither parametric or direct run. Both give similar messages.

I have a support ticket open, and I am communicating with them.

I sent my Host ID for my wired ethernet connection for the license .dat file, and I have my wireless shut off to try and prevent the conflict you described. I have run into that same issue before with MSC Adams.

Chad

AdamHaas
1-Newbie

It is best to make your wired card your #1 priority, then Creo will run even if your wireless card is disabled (my laptop has a switch on the side so I constantly do this by mistake). I'll have support send you instructions for reordering your network card priority.

ChadM
1-Newbie

Adams,

At the moment, I have only one Connection enabled (wired).

When I installed, I forgot to uncheck the MKS toolkit. I uninstalled it after the fact. Did that cause a problem?

I see your name in the sw_license_email_1826619.dat , so you should be able to see my Host ID information.

Chad

Top Tags