cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

FLL 2011 Food Factor Team

CeliaLee
1-Newbie

FLL 2011 Food Factor Team

I coach an FLL team in Medford, MA and we got a write up in our local newspaper!

http://tinyurl.com/69myldv

12 REPLIES 12
bfw1
1-Newbie
(To:CeliaLee)

Way to go! Excellent photos, too. How did you manage to get someone from the newspaper to come out?

CeliaLee
1-Newbie
(To:bfw1)

Thanks, Brian!

We just called the local paper and asked, and they were happy to send a reporter and photographer to one of our meetings. The reporter interviewed the children, and they all did a good job responding to questions. It was a good reminder that they need to be prepared to answer questions come tournament time.

We are hoping it stirs more interest in our town, especially at the high school level.

round3.png

Quincy, MA FLL Qualifiers -- Medford Tinkers in round 3 of robot competition.

stairs.png

After the last judging session

drivers.jpg

The drivers and their robot

Congradulations on the write up; the photos are great too. I know that, in my area at least, there are tons of kids who want to join teams, but there are very few people who are willing to volunteer their time to coach, so I think it's really great that you decided to coach a team. Good luck getting high school students interested in FIRST, but I think you're already making a difference with these FLL kids.

The article in the paper led me to a newly formed Robotics Club at our town's high school, and several intereste parents and teachers contacted me to learn more about FIRST. The high school team signed up for BotBall in 2012. Hopefully we can get them to try FTC next year.

We're planning some meetings in January to talk to interested parties about creating one or more FLL teams in Medford.

Congratulations on getting a robotics club formed, I know that's not easy, and good luck trying to get an FTC team next year!

JoshH
3-Visitor
(To:CeliaLee)

I echo Lindsey's sentiment. Awesome job getting out there!

Wow... excellent! We need more of this kind of press and we need more robotics clubs in our schools.

Congrats on the write up in your newspaper!

I'm a senior at Lexington High School and although our robotics team participates in the FIRST Tech Challenge, a couple of us volunteered as judges at a local FLL tournament last month. Many of us had actually participated in FLL teams when we were younger so it was a real throwback. Watching younger kids work with NXTs and LEGO parts was inspiring to say the least; I couldn't imagine a younger version of myself completing as many tasks as some of the teams did. We all thought that this year's FLL challenge was especially challenging since it was impossible to obtain a perfect score. (We also enjoyed playing with all the LEGO parts, but that's a different story.) Hopefully next year we'll be able to actually work with and mentor the local FLL teams.

We had a follow up blurb in the paper a few weeks ago with our team picture taken at the Quincy Tournament.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/medford/news/x1157705648/Medford-fifth-graders-compete-in-LEGO-League#axzz1jJBBQxIT

We were so impressed with the 16 Lexington FLL teams that were at the same tournament we participated at. The community infrastructure that supports them is something we would like to aim for in Medford. We had only one team this year, but we are hoping to have 3 or 4 teams next year.

Thanks,
Celia

Top Tags