cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Help with constantly crashing Creo Parametric 1.0 (student edition)

ptc-2643731
1-Newbie

Help with constantly crashing Creo Parametric 1.0 (student edition)

Hi there guys,

I recently bought Creo Parametric 1.0 student edition and have had trouble using the software. The program will load up fine but when I click on a datum or say try to do a sketch or extrude the whole client will freeze and crash the ATI display driver ("ATI graphics driver has stopped working properly") and the driver will restart with the creo window being a blank window pane. I'm not sure whether this is a problem with Creo trying to use my graphics card or just a general problem with Creo. I did notice when looking with MSI afterburner that the GPU load on the first GPU went up to 100% while it was in progress of crashing but the second was basically idle. My comp build should be able to easily handle such a basic task so I was wondering if you guys knew any other potential reasons or possible work arounds.

Build:

CPU: i7 920

CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14

Mobo: Asus Rampage Extreme II

Ram: 6 gb 1600 mhz Super Talent Chrome ram

GPU: Sapphire ATI HD 5970 OC edition 2gb Vram (This is a dual GPU card)

HDD: 1x solid state 120gb, 2x 2tb Seagate, 1x 1.5tb Seagate

I've tried installing on each HDD but to no anvil. I've also tried setting voltage of the GPU to a constant one via MSI afterburner. I've also tried multiple installs to see if it was an install error.

Note: Also just to note in 2D applications the ATI card only uses 1 GPU core rather than both as crossfire is disabled in 2D applications by default with ATI drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as otherwise this was $400 NZD down the drain and I need it for my 4th year student project (Axial TurboJets don't build themselves ) and various other projects due in 2-3 weeks .

Regards,

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi David,

Certainly I would try to update the graphics driver to the latest version as Vladimir stated. That would be the first thing I would look at. If that does not work, I would try to change the configuration option to use emulated graphics. To do this follow the steps below:

1) Navigate to C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 1.0\Common Files\<BUILD NUMBER>\text

2) Open config.pro in a text editor (notepad)

3) Add the following option:

graphics win32_GDI

4) Save the file. Note: if you are running windows 7, you might not have permission to save to the C drive. You might save it to the desktop and then drag the file into the text folder. Overwrite the existing file

5) Start Creo

If you are still having issues, please send me an email at -. I can connect to your machine and take a look.

Thanks,

Mark

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hello!

Try to update your ATI video driver, here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Hi David,

Certainly I would try to update the graphics driver to the latest version as Vladimir stated. That would be the first thing I would look at. If that does not work, I would try to change the configuration option to use emulated graphics. To do this follow the steps below:

1) Navigate to C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 1.0\Common Files\<BUILD NUMBER>\text

2) Open config.pro in a text editor (notepad)

3) Add the following option:

graphics win32_GDI

4) Save the file. Note: if you are running windows 7, you might not have permission to save to the C drive. You might save it to the desktop and then drag the file into the text folder. Overwrite the existing file

5) Start Creo

If you are still having issues, please send me an email at -. I can connect to your machine and take a look.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks, that has seemed to work wonders Mark. Is there any reason why you think the card can't handle Open_GL? The card has enough beef to litterally destroy any game, but as it seems Creo puts the card 6 feet under.

Regards,

David

David,

I am no graphics card expert, however, CAD packages do not typically work well with "gaming" cards. I have been told that this is because gaming cards are optimized for raster data and CAD tools manage and display vector data.

Your graphics card may have a predefined configuration that is specific to CAD (many do). You could also give this a try.

Regards,

Adam

I forgot to mention all the video drivers are up to date.

Top Tags