cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Thesunshines
1-Newbie

Help.

I am an absolute beginner with CAD. I am trying to model a bolt and nut so that I can test it failing under various condidtions. I Have been following this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyMfcRl71do which is very useful, although I only have a student account. Just as I was about to get to putting the thredad on my bolt, the video at 14.53 tells me to open a file called unf_external_thread_profile. Which I dont have. Can anyone help me with this?

Also I have built the bolt so far need to convert it from inces to mm, is this possible.

Sorry to ask such basic questions, but like I say this is my very first time using CAD.

Cheers

Marcus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Marcus,

For threads on a bolt, there are a couple options:

1. You could use a Helical Sweep to define the profile of the threads and set the pitch and length on your own.
  2. You could download the Creo model of a bolt from the McMaster-Carr website. They have models of most of the fasteners on their website free to download.

Either of those options would allow you to test the strength of the bolt in Creo.

To change units, go to File>Prepare>Model Properties. To the right of Units, click change. This will allow you to change the units to whatever system you want.

Regards,

Chris

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi Marcus,

For threads on a bolt, there are a couple options:

1. You could use a Helical Sweep to define the profile of the threads and set the pitch and length on your own.
  2. You could download the Creo model of a bolt from the McMaster-Carr website. They have models of most of the fasteners on their website free to download.

Either of those options would allow you to test the strength of the bolt in Creo.

To change units, go to File>Prepare>Model Properties. To the right of Units, click change. This will allow you to change the units to whatever system you want.

Regards,

Chris

Top Tags