cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Need Help - Corrupted File

ltw123
1-Newbie

Need Help - Corrupted File

Hey everyone, I could use a little input here if anyone has it. I'm a college student and recently purchased the student licensed Mathcad 15. Now after a few weeks, it seems that any files that I create or open and save on my system are being corrupted! I get the following message when I try to open a file:

The contents of this file have been corrupted:

Detailed Error Information:

File: (file path)

Reason:

Line Number: 0

Character Position: 0

If I start a new file, everything works fine for the first day. I can open it, close it, save it, etc with no problems. But the next day, error message. I tried saving a copy as an HTML file. Same results. The next day, the links to the pictures all had incorrect paths to the pictures?

and that's it. PTC couldn't help me since student license support is limited to instiallation only.

I uninstalled/reinstalled it, it worked fine for a week or so and now it's doing it again!

Very frustrating!

Any input???

Thanks

Lee

10 REPLIES 10

Hey Lee,

I do have a similar problem. It is related to a problem in "Save as Web Page ..." option in File menu. For some reason, if you select this option and save your file in .html format, next time you click "Save" button, you actually save also your original MathCAD file in .html format and thus corrupt file and not be able to open it in MathCAD anymore. MathCAD somehow stores .html saving format, nevertheless file name is *.xmcd in title bar. This can be avoided by saving a Web Page by using "Save As..." and select "Save as type: HTML (*.html)". Another option is to select "Save as..." and select different name to a file than it was AFTER you have selected "Save as Web Page". These corrupted files can be read by changing the suffix from .xmcd to .html and open them in your browser.

You might be able to retrieve corrupted files by using some html -> MathCAD -converter. However, I'm not sure.

I hope PTC will fix this bug as soon as possible. I've also "lost" two files due to this inconsistency.

With best regards,

Mikko Jutila

http://mjutila.kapsi.fi/

For technical assistance please log a case here: Mathcad Single User and Student Case Logger

Yes, you're absolutly right! I lost one file, which was overritten with an html version of my work Full HDD format will not so dangerouse as this "Save As Web Page"

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ltw123)

Has this issue been resolved?

Mike

Yeah, Mikko pretty well summed it up.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ltw123)

Good stuff Lee

Mike

Please help someone

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-4335260)

Help with what?

Mike

I described this problem on my blog and have the solving based on this pages

come and visit sorry for my englisch leave reply if something is not understandable

projektowaniebim.pl/mathcad/mathcad-the-contents-of-this-file-has-been-corrupted-englisch-version/

Thank you for finding a solution to this problem. However, the URL to download the recovery tool on your blog is no longer working (hotfile.com has been shut down as of 12/4/13). Please host the file on a different site. Thanks

Top Tags