cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Possible to export entities from the PTC University academic instance in local ThingWorx instance?

jamesso
10-Marble

Possible to export entities from the PTC University academic instance in local ThingWorx instance?

I am completing the PTC U Foundations course.

For Project 1 (the simple rover mashup), I found that I can export the Weather Rover thing and mashup using the Export option on the academic instance and import it to a local server. Then I could connect to that local instance and run the mashup and even use the Academic Simulator on my Mac to connect to the local ThingWorx server running in Windows Server 2010R2. I can't run the simulator successfully inside the VM as I report in another thread.

I want to do the same for Project 2, but I have tried to export content such as Media, Style Definitions, State Definitions etc. needed to support the created entities in the academic instance but they do not appear as new items in the local instance.

The import attempt does not report any errors, but none of the imported content appears in the browser.

I suspect there might be permissions issues that need to be resolved.

Can anyone offer a suggestion? Is such an export/import allowed? Can some one at PTC provide an import file (binary or xml) that would allow content to be imported locally?

I teach at a University and would like to have a locally saved edition of a completed Project 2 so as not to lose content if the academic instance disappears.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jamesso
10-Marble
(To:jamesso)

Turns out that you can create all of the needed style definitions, state definitions and media by observing the properties of the entities with the same names on the PTC academic site and manually creating them one by one on the local server. Then if you create your thing templates, things and mashup on the academic site, you can export them from there and import the exported entities file to a local server.

I am now able to run a full Project 2 Mars Colony mashup on the local server.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jamesso
10-Marble

Turns out that you can create all of the needed style definitions, state definitions and media by observing the properties of the entities with the same names on the PTC academic site and manually creating them one by one on the local server. Then if you create your thing templates, things and mashup on the academic site, you can export them from there and import the exported entities file to a local server.

I am now able to run a full Project 2 Mars Colony mashup on the local server.

jamesso
10-Marble

I marked it as a solution but it would have been nice for PTC to have suggested this approach as a way around the problem I first reported.

Top Tags