cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The PTC Community email address has changed to community-mailer@ptc.com. Learn more.

ProE Wildfire 4 - using outside images for reference

ptc-2020761
1-Newbie

ProE Wildfire 4 - using outside images for reference

Is there a way to import image files into the sketcher for use as a reference? For example, sketching a concept on paper, scanning it into a jpeg or bmp and bringing it into ProE. The idea is to then sketch over the imported image and use the geometry to create the solid features. (This is not unlike the process used in ProConcept - which looks really cool by the way - any chance of an educational version?)
15 REPLIES 15

You can import the image using a style feature. Once in style select Styling>Trace Sketch. In the dialog box select File>Open Sketch. You will be asked for a plane to place the sketch on. You can then scale, move, rotate, and set transparency.

I cannot find the Style feature. Is this available in Wildfire 4 (educational)? I am able to import an Illustrator file, but this is is a vector, so a scanned image would not work.

It should be. Look under the Insert menu. It should also be on the base features toolbar (same toolbar as the extrude feature). It can be added if it is not there. Also check to make sure Interactive_Surface_Design is in the Configured Option Modules by selecting Help>System Information.

It is not in the Insert menu and the Interactive Surface Design is not listed in the System Information. What next?

Are you using software provided by a school? If so, check to see if they have a license for it. If you purchased the student edition through PTC or elsewhere, check with them to see if it should have come with ISDX (I believe it should have). As far as I know ISDX is the only way to get an image in a part model for tracing.

Hi Wayne, The easiest method would be to append an image onto a surface or face. Then create a sketch on that face and use the outline of the image to create your sketch. Once the sketch is created, you can use it to extrude a solid. As for Pro/CONCEPT, we have a schools edition of Pro/CONCEPT. Please send an email to - and we would be happy to send you a copy. BTW....are you involved in secondary schools or a college/university? Thanks, Mark

Thanks for the response Mark. I am teaching secondary students in Georgetown. Does my version of ProE not have the surfacing capabilities (ISDX)? Is this available in the student advanced edition? I would definitly be interested in a copy of ProConcept. I will email soon.

"Mark S. Fischer" wrote:

The easiest method would be to append an image onto a surface or face. Then create a sketch on that face and use the outline of the image to create your sketch.

Hi Wayne, Three lots of good news!! 1. The Schools Edition of Pro|ENGINEER provided free to schools does not have the ISDX module needed to access the Style feature. However, we do offer a Schools Advanced Edition of Pro|ENGINEER to schools that does have ISDX as well as full NC and Mechanica FEA. 2. Dave Cheshire, a Professor at Staffordshire University has come up with a neat way of doing what you want in the free Schools Edition. He has kindly allowed us to distribute a guide he created - see attached. 3. Scalextric4Schools challenge - PTC has just launched an exciting new curriculum project in the UK with the US launch at ITEA. Students design, build and race their own slot car. The reason for mentioning it here is students are shown how to bring their sketches into Schools Edition and trace over the top to create a profile for extrusion. Full details including free curriculum and ProE parts to download at www.scalextric4schools.org Cheers Tim

Thanks Timothy! I have been able to apply the sketch onto the surface, but when it appears, it is comprised of very large coloured pixels. The image is only visible when I render the window. Is this a function of the resolution of the applied image image? PS. Are you enjoying the snow? Wayne

Wayne, The snow has been very disuptive mainly becasue we don't have the infrastructure. People don't know how to drive on snow so lots of minor accidents. The problem may be due to a few things. The image resolution will make a difference although by default it should scale to fit the size of surface you create. Once you have selected the decal image there are settings for 'single' or 'tiled'. Make sure you use single then check all the spin wheels are at the default settings. Do other rendered surfaces view properly? If not, you could try updating your graphics card drivers. Let me know how you get on. Regards Tim

Timothy. It looks like a driver problem. I tried the method on a different computer and it worked beautifully. As for the snow, don't feel bad. The storms looked pretty bad even by Canadian standards! Thanks for your help. Wayne

有中文版的么

same problem here! how to update graphics? i dont have graphics card will i have to purchase one? i have view sonic screen and intel graphics media accelerator

Melville, Your graphics card is integrated in your motherboard. I would suggest that you go to the INTEL site - http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/?iid=gg_work+home_support_downloads and download the defined graphics driver for your Intel integrated card. After updating your driver, try the process again. Let me know if you are still having problems after the update. Regards, Adam
Top Tags