cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Problem Installing Pro/E Schools Edition WF 5.0

rbram
1-Newbie

Problem Installing Pro/E Schools Edition WF 5.0

I'm trying to get the schools edition to install as I'm an engineering Ph.D student. I've been trying for several hours to complete the installation but nothing seems to work. It hangs at 1% or 2%.

I've now apparently hit the limit of my license requests to try and install so I'm out of options.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro x64. It's all updated, in fact the last group of updates was done last night.

I've tried turning off all other programs in the background. Tried restarting. Tried deleting all the temporary files it installed (when I select Cancel Installation it just freezes) and rerunning the installer. Tried redownloading the installer four times now. Tried installing by extracting to a temporary folder as well as to the Program Files (x86)/PTC.Setup folder. Nothing i've tried was successful.

I haven't been able to find an installation log file to see what it's hanging on.

Has anyone else run into this or have any ideas on what else I might try?

32 REPLIES 32

Thank you

I also have this problem...and would like to find out how to fix it. Thank you for asking the question. 🙂

BrandonW
1-Newbie
(To:rbram)

also having the same problem on a macbook pro i7 with windows 7 ultimate and a built desktop with a 920 i7 running windows 7 professional

both computers are running 64 bit versions of the OS with all current updates

Glad i am not the only one !! fortunately i have been able to download succsesfully and save to my documents, unfortunately when i try to install things go pear shaped ond there is no content.

I have tried several attempts to over come this but to no avail.

I hope this can be sorted by the PTC crew.

I tried again !! took 1 hour 40mins to down load, got as far as you did and stopped at 2%.

Must be doing something wrong but i am confused as to what !!

Please help PTC guys !!

BrandonW
1-Newbie

i tried downloading and installing on a windows virtual machine running xp 32 bit and had no problems, so this is clearly a conflict with the windows 7 installer. I also tried using the 32 bit installer on my windows 7 machines and it would error in the exact same place.

Hi all,

Thank you for raising this issue with PTC. I am making steps to address the 'install from the web' process.

Since, Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0 is now offered on DVD, we wanted to provide an install process that would not require users to download the full media DVD (3.6 GB). The intent was to allow users to download a small executable which would initiate PTC.Setup. During the install, the required files would be downloaded from ptc.com.

Depending on network connectivity, we are finding a number of users not able to successfully complete the install via the 'install from the web' process. For this reason, we will provide a link to download the full media to users local machine.

I am anticipating this to be available by the end of the week (August 20, 2010). When available, I will post a reply stating it live. On the page, where you downloaded the setup executable, you will see a new link for downloading the full image. Once downloaded, you can unzip the file and perform setup from the folder. This will allow you to successfully install the edition.

If you have future issue, please send an email to -.

Regards,

Mark Fischer

Director, PTC Education

rbram
1-Newbie
(To:mfischer)

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for the reply! I look forward to using Pro/E when you get the download ready.

JoshH
3-Visitor

Hi Mark,

Could a note or something be posted in ProjectLink or otherwise sent out to FIRST teams regarding this issue. My team has the DVD, but others may still be having problems.

Thanks,

Josh

Thanks Mark,

I appreciate your concern in rectifying this problem.

Great product, looking forward to becoming proficient with Wildfire.

Kind regards,

Stephen J Churches

m.i.a.m.e. m.s.a.e.a. v.a.s.s.

Hi all,

I have updated the Software page for FIRST teams - http://www.ptc.com/go/softwareforfirst

Users will be able to now download the full DVD image of the Schools Edition.

If you are having issues performing the install from the web for the Schools Edition, please download the full DVD imaghe and perform a lcoal install.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the update, unfortunately i still have the same problem, i get all the way to the final part of the install, then when install is finished i then try to open the desktop shortcut icon but the browser cannot find the file, i also tried to down load the CD version but aborted when it was going to take 31 hours to download, the 32 bit takes 1hr 25min.

I may have to purchase the student edition rather than trying to get access to the trial version.

If you have any more suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Steve Churches

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Please send an email to - and we can ship you a copy of the Pro/ENGINEER Schools Edition.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Mark

DK1
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Mark,

While attempting to install a student version of ProEngineer Wildfire 5.0 from a DVD I encountered a problem with the license configuration. I created a user account and received an email confirmation. I have internet access. I entered my PTC username and password on the License Configuration page of the setup.exe. The instructions then indicate for me to select the "Generate License Files" radio button, however, my button is grayed out and doesn't allow me to select it. I amended the aforementioned info with my Product Code info and that didn't seem to change anything. Please help.

I can't get WF 5.0 student to load either, some thing, stuck at 1%. Has anyone be able to successfully load with the software page for FIRST teams? Will that work for the student version?

I am also having problems contacting PTC support, I purchased the program on-line and all I got was an e-mail with an order number and a serial number. Every time I try to call support they want numbers I don't have. I registered with PTC but I still haven't gotten any identification number. Please let me know if there is someone I can e-mail who can help me get set up for direct support.

Thanks!!!

Hi Matt,

Can you please email - to get support for your Student Edition?

They will be able to provide immediate assistance for your issue.

Thanks,

Mark

mfischer
18-Opal
(To:DK1)

Hi David,

Can you please send me (-) your PTC HostID so I can generate your license for you. The PTC HostID should be located at the bottom left corner of the PTC.Setup.

Can you also send me your product code?

Thanks,

Mark

Just bought Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0 Student Edition and having the same problem installing as mentioned above. I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and I downloaded the 
installation file "x86e_win64_installer.exe" but this hangs at 2% on the install. I tried several times. After reading through your site it seems that 
several people have had issues. I found the Schools version (3.7 gig) and this installed fine? 

Is there a direct link to a full student version that can be downloaded? And what is the difference between the SCHOOLS version and the STUDENT version? 
Please help, I have spent several hours trying to figure this out.

I have contacted - and have not received a response?

hi Martin,

can you please provide your order # please?

thanks

Dima

I can confirm the problem,

trying to install on Win7 Enterprise system running in a 2008 Domain.

Tried as domain admin, as well as local admin on the PC.

Tried x86 and x64 versions, also tried the compatibility modes. Nothing works, except the fine slideshow.

I will try the DVD once i got it downloaded.

hi Thomas,

i can send you a copy....can you email me your mailing address? -

thanks

Dima

Hi Dima (I mean привет ),

I am experiencing absolutly the same problem. Trying to install Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0 on a workstation running Windows 7 Pro 64bit. The license server is on another computer (has just been moved there). The workstation installation can see the license server well and the installation itself starts but freezes on 1%, sometimes on 2% of 'Copy Files'. I have tried it many times result being the same. Also tried cleaning up all the traces of any PTC software on the workstation (both files and registry entries) and doing clean install, it did not help as well. All this concerns x64 installation. Also tried to download and start i486 (32bit) installation (even in Compatible mode for Windows XP SP2) - got stuck at 1% again.
Please help find a way out.

P.S.: I do like the slideshow, but still it would be much better to get the whole thing installed .

Had the problem with the installation hanging up at 2%. I had also wasted a bunch of time trying all sorts of things. I downloaded the full DVD image (~3.4 GB) and the installation went fine. Just did not want to install using remote links, which is what the smaller install file does (~137 MB)? Appreciate the help.

Sorry, I think we are all on the wrong way. The installation itself is about 3.2G big, and the web-installer we are trying to run (which is only 137M) does not contain the Pro/E installation data. It is supposed to dowload the files from the Internet (why it does not do this - that's another question).

So, the proper way of installing Pro/E is going here and downloading a massive zipped installation. At least that's what I was gust told by a PTC support guy over the phone and that's what I am doing right now.

Has there been a fix for this problem? I too had the same installation issues as some of the original posters so I clicked on one of the alternative downloads to install the DVD version and it uploaded about 2/3 of the zip file and when I tried opening it, it said it was invalid.

This is insane. I expected a way better experience from PTC then what I'm getting.

hi James, can you please email me (-) your best mailing address and i will ship you a physical DVD?

thanks

dima

Hi James,

Yes i also had the same problem, after many frustrating attempts i gave up.

My fix to the problem is, ring or e-mail PTC and ask them to mail to you the schools edition disc.

That worked a treat !!

Good luck! i hope it works out well !! the program is fantastic.

Regards, Stephen J Churches

Matheus
1-Newbie

Hello,

I've downloaded Pro/E 5.0, but when I try to install, the setup just do not run.

I'm using windows 7, I've tried both double clicking and running as admin the setup.exe, but nothing happens, does anyone know how to solve this problem? (The same thing is happening when I try the Pro/E 4.0)

I'd like to ask one more thing, does the Pro/E school ed. includes the Mechanica so I can simulate servo motors?

Thanks

Matheus

PS: Sorry for my poor english, long time without use.

dorlov
1-Newbie
(To:Matheus)

Hi Matheus,

does the software give you any error messages?

thanks

Dima

Top Tags