cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Ptc/creo High School Curriculum Outline available?

bpenza
5-Regular Member

Ptc/creo High School Curriculum Outline available?

New to PTC/Creo. We will start up a new course in CAD next fall. Have installed and gone through a few tutorials in Ptc/Creo. However, I haven't found a simple outline of curriculum anywhere. With all the available tutorials and projects, it's hard to know where to start and how to build the knowledge forward. My students will start out without any knowledge of CAD. The goal is to turn them into productive designers in about 4 months time. And most important, maintain their interest throughout the process. Anyone who has worked with this product on the High School level who is willing to share a simple curriculum map outline? Thanks?

2 REPLIES 2

I have developed a curriculum for Creo 2 with pupils aged 12 upwards. I give this to teachers I train if you want a copy email me and I will email a copy to you.

It is in a Microsoft Excel 2007 format and contains hyperlinks to all powerpoints, handouts and tutorials.

email me here

Having spent nearly forty years in design education I recognise the problem of developing students ability to communicate their ideas. Capability with freehand sketching and 3D modelling are fundamental to this and, like learning a foreign language or musical instrument, practice is the key.

The most successful approach in schools has students installing PTC Creo on their home computers (included in the free school license) as soon as they start at the school and take them through the basics of the software. The PTC Creo Primer was written for this purpose.

The next step is to use PTC Creo to model or reverse engineer familiar objects made up of simple geometric shapes to build confidence. This can be done as homework assignments so that classroom time is available for design challenges. If students have problems or need to know a new technique, have them register for Precision LMS (FREE for k-12) which contains over 2000 hours of online multi-media tutorials for PTC Creo. A response to your previous request for help in these forums suggested Precision LMS is all you need. This might work if your primary focus was learning PTC Creo but design capability is a much higher level use of Creo.

Using the approach outlined above, classroom time can be devoted to a series of design challenges where PTC Creo is used to develop student's own solutions to the brief. We provide materials for a number of curriculum projects including; Scalextric4Schools, F1 in Schools (CO2 racers), FIRST Robotics and Real World Design Challenge. All of these are available free on www.ptcschools.com

Top Tags