cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Questions before I buy a new laptop

ptc-2700409
1-Newbie

Questions before I buy a new laptop

I have a few questions since i'm looking for a new laptop. Main one i have in mind is Sager NP9280 (available for preorder starting today) specs: Intel Core i7 Quad (Nehalem) 940 2.93GHz 8MB Cache nVidia GeForce GTX 280M 1,024MB PCI-Express DDR3 (think it supports openGL) 6,144MB DDR3 1066MHz Memory (3 SODIMMS) no XP downgrade available and i would rather use 64bit OS (vista ultimate best?) for ram and speed but student edition is 32 bit only so what are my options, buy a 64bit proE for it? (how much money?) or do i need a 32bit OS? (ProE 5.0 maybe?) Also, non openGL card laptops are much cheaper so how well does this opengl software you have for that work? is it just as fast as opengl card or how much slower if that road is taken? Lastly, i see this support area of your site with models and cards supported and driver downloads but the above laptop is not on there (or any from Sager for that matter) so how does that work? Do i need my computer on that list for any help from PTC? do i need those drivers? or what happens if not? Please answer all of the above if possible and I can be reached by phone at 908-397-3423 to discuss it as well. also? if i buy a proE it seems like it only works on one computer as far as i can tell from this host id talk? is this true? i own 3 different computers!? what am i supposed to do? and yet another question. i can use download from NJIT site while on vpn for license but can i do that borrow license with this school so i can use without internet and vpn on? I'm guessing that will only apply to my 32 OS computers cuz that vpn install is 32bit only whether proE student is or not!
1 REPLY 1

Hi Christopher, Sorry for the delay in responding. I am not familiar with a Sagar laptop, however, I can tell you it is not an officially supported machine. Looking at the details, the main thing you should be looking at is RAM and graphics. The nVidia GeForce is more of a gaming card versus CAD card. However it should be able to run Pro/E. I would recommend getting the latest graphics driver from nVidia. You have a choice of running XP or Vista….we support both. Currently, we only support 32-bit OS, but we have schools running 64-bit OS with the 32-bit application. With release WF 5.0 Student edition (available in September) we will have support for 32-bit and 64-bit. As for Software OPENGL……the performance is not bad…but not to the level of true OpenGL. The Software OpenGL is also dependent on the amount of Ram…as it uses it to emulate graphics. The speed is all dependent on that. Getting the latest driver is a good start. The Student Edition is only licensed per machine, not multiple machines. License Borrowing is an option, but you only can borrow it for 14 days. There is an issue in the License Manager that disallows early return. Note: the university needs to be using the borrowed license file on their servers to enable this. Lately, we do offer a free seat of Pro/E for students enrolled in a university that is part of the university program. This is the schools edition and does not have all the capabilities of the Student Edition – including Mechanica, surfacing, etc. Here is the link to register and download the Schools Edition – www.ptc.com/go/proeforschools Hope this helps. Mark
Top Tags