cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

ROBOTalk - Design Challenge October 1, 2014

KariKarwedsky
1-Newbie

Design a conceptual model of a robot with a lift mechanism (i.e. scissor, slider, etc.) that can lift a wiffle ball 120 cm. The starting conditions for the robot are that it has to fit in a cube 18in x 18in x 18 in.

Post a picture of your concept model and a short description to the PTC Community site. The best entry this week will get a PTC give-away!

8 REPLIES 8

This is our concept model. We used PTC Creo and it was very helpful and enjoyable to learn. photo.JPG

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:ptc-6312680)

Do you have a picture of your concept model in Creo? Maybe a screen shot?

http://youtu.be/Kxy-XLMdYxc

I'm a mentor for Team 7300 - Ashebots. Here's a clip of a lift mechanism I did in Creo. I've got a couple students working on their Creo skills so maybe they'll take it and run with it!

I have a servo motor hooked up to the small gear. I HAD a mechanism analysis set-up for it but accidentally deleted it.

Dan

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:dholt)

Dan, this is a cool video. Nice work. Would you be willing to share the models with the Community? Would be nice to make a quick TechTips document from this one. Maybe you have a student that would like to tackle it?

dholt
1-Newbie
(To:sm)

Hey Scott, thanks and here's the project.

I doubt I can get anyone but me to write up anything.

As a non-mechanically-trained mentor, I wrote this for myself (if I spend any time away from Creo I'll forget everything!), similarly challenged mentors and our students. I try to update it from time to time and hopefully it's not full of bad advise. It's mostly focused on sticking Tetrix pieces together.

And here's the playlist with a few other Creo vids I've done over the last year.

Dan Holt

7300 Ashebots

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:dholt)

Cool. I will take a peek at it and get started on a document. This is a really cool example.

I finished a model for my team, FTC team 542 WHS Robotics. The drive train is our CAD model from one of our robots from last season. The lift, however, is new and definitely only a conceptual model. It is a mixed design between a four bar linkage and a linear elevator: it uses drawer slides to extend the links in the four bar arm. This idea came from one of my team's potential designs for the Ring it up! season that was ultimately scrapped in the brainstorming phase. Please note that the two-part slide models were simplified from the three stage set that would be required for this over-extension layout. The blue box in the first picture represents the 120 cm height required for the design, while the white box in the last picture represents the starting size requirements.

lift_120cmbox.PNG

lift_armUp-elevatorUp.PNG

lift_armUp-elevatorDown.PNGlift_inEnvelope.PNG

Benjamin Domae

FTC 542, WHS Robotics

I am Trevor A. Babb on behalf of The Hard-Hitting Hardware Hooligans and I have entered the design challenge. You can view my entry using the link below.

http://communities.ptc.com/thread/57256#

Top Tags