cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Registering Autodesk Inventor to CAD Managment

ptc-2179373
1-Newbie

Registering Autodesk Inventor to CAD Managment

According to the "Getting Started" manual, on page 9 Windchill ProjectLink is aboe to manage our CAD data from Inventor. The guide does not give any instructions on how to do this, and I am lost. I have tried searching the help topics, and I could only fine one that instructed me to select on the 'tools' menu which I don't see on the webbased version of the software. I need some help with this.
7 REPLIES 7

Hi Nathan, You will need to install the Work Group Manager that would allow Inventor to be connected with your project. The work Group Manager is available from the software download page in the project. Open the Getting Started Guide (http://www.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/standards/fileothumbredirect.jsp?&im_dbkey=77175&im_language=en) and go to page 67 and follow the section called 'Installing Windchill CAD Workgroup Managers'. This will help you install it. BTW...what release of Inventor are you using? The current Work group Manager only supports 2008. 2009 will be available after the build cycle. We did not want to upgrade the server in the middle of the build cycle. You will have a new pull down menu called Windchill. There is also a user guide for the Work Group Manager from the software download page. Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark, Thanks for the clarification. That is why I couldn't see it on the list. We are using 2009 since that is what came with the FIRST kit. (We are one of the FIRST robotics teams using your software - and thanks for it!!) When will the 2009 support be added? Thanks! Nathan

Hi Nathan, Thanks for your support. We will be upgrading the server afdter the build cycle. At thius time, you will be able to connect inventor 2009 to the server project. Thanks, Mark

Our team currently is using Inventor 2009. When I install the workgroup manager the only options that come up in the list is for Inventor/etc. 2007&2008. I read in an earlier thread and on the PTC site that 2009 should be supported. Also tried to register manually and it still only brings me back to 2008. Will Windchill support Inventor 2010 when that is released to FIRST teams?

Our team currently is using Inventor 2009. When I install the workgroup manager the only options that come up in the list is for Inventor/etc. 2007&2008. I read in an earlier thread and on the PTC site that 2009 should be supported. Also tried to register manually and it still only brings me back to 2008. Will Windchill support Inventor 2010 when that is released to FIRST teams?

Hi Kevin, We are looking into this matter. The work group manager should support Inventor 2009. As for 2010 Inventor, we will not be providing support for that release. We will follow up with an update shortly once we investigate the issue. Regards, Mark

Hello Mark. Thanks for your response. I am disappointed to hear that Inventor 2010 will not be supported. Is that certain for this next season of FIRST? For the FIRST community we unfortunately must upgrade because our licenses expire after 1yr of use. To renew we must upgrade to 2010...also, the kit of parts are customized to the latest version of Inventor so that forces us to upgrade. I would definitely like to get our students to transition to ProE but it is late in the pre-season to spring a new CAD system on them. We were hoping to try both out this year and then maybe switch next year.
Top Tags