cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Running Creo Student Edition on a basic laptop

mithas92
1-Newbie

Running Creo Student Edition on a basic laptop

Can we run Creo 2.0 Academic edition on a computer with Intel Integrated Graphics and a 1366 x 768 display? If yes, is it even worth it. The computer is Dell Vostro 3450. The specs say that it supports OpenGL. It has win 7 64 bit and 4GB.

We are a rookie First Tech team and would like to try out our free Creo 2.0 license. But for now we don’t have access to any PC that is either supported or certified in PTCs official list.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JoshH
3-Visitor
(To:mithas92)

Hi Salman,

I figured it worth it for a non-PTC guy to chime in too

Most students have basic laptops and I've rarely seen them not get through at least basic assemblies. The primary problem I see is graphics and that can usually be managed by updating drivers or setting graphics driver to Win_32.

If you come across "Simplified Reps", learn to use them. They can be your friend when working with more advanced geometry.

Watch out for some components that have a LOT of detail. There were some tires that had all the treads modeled and looked cool, but would bog down any student machine and even my professional grade cad system.

Welcome to the community!

Josh

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

There's no harm in trying. Sometimes the Intel Integrated graphics has weird graphics issues, but quite often upgrading the video drivers will take care of it. This machine is not going to open a huge assembly, but it is more than adequate for basic part design and even basic assembly design. I would go for it.

There are some integrated Intel graphics cards/drivers that support OpenGL and work well with Creo (but also many that don't). I was working with some of the FIRST engineers last week and we were able to use the "graphics opengl" option to make the Intel HD graphics on one of their laptops work really well.

Please refer to this support document if you are having trouble: http://apps.ptc.com/schools/references/support_creo2_graphics.pdf.

JoshH
3-Visitor

Hi Salman,

I figured it worth it for a non-PTC guy to chime in too

Most students have basic laptops and I've rarely seen them not get through at least basic assemblies. The primary problem I see is graphics and that can usually be managed by updating drivers or setting graphics driver to Win_32.

If you come across "Simplified Reps", learn to use them. They can be your friend when working with more advanced geometry.

Watch out for some components that have a LOT of detail. There were some tires that had all the treads modeled and looked cool, but would bog down any student machine and even my professional grade cad system.

Welcome to the community!

Josh

Josh:

Thank you. I will try it out.

Salman

Top Tags