cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Saving a mirror image of an assembly (Creo 2.0)

Madz
1-Newbie

Saving a mirror image of an assembly (Creo 2.0)

Hi,

We've been learning Creo this year and were able to design most of our first FTC robot before building it (hooray!) So, sorry for the newbie questions.

After getting a lot of the basics down, we are redoing our CAD so we tweak our design using what we've learned. So we have a few sub-assemblies built that we are going to use to make the final assembly easier and quicker to put together. The problem is that we are trying to "save a mirror assembly" for a rack-and-pinion lift and we end up with a scrambled assembly with a bunch of warnings.

We found some documentation here for Creo 3 that seems similar, but can't locate the Creo 2 docs for some reason:

http://help.ptc.com/creo_hc/creo30_optm_hc/usascii/index.html#page/optm/options_modeler/asm_one_sub/To_Mirror_an_Assembly.html

Any hints?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:Madz)

Okay, I understand what you are doing now. I am not a big fan of the mirror components command, especially when it involved mechanisms. That might just be me, being too particular about how the assembly is structured. I'm not exactly sure what the issue is at this point without seeing the model itself. Is there any chance you can share the model via your Windchill project or some other secure file sharing mechanism?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Hi, sorry about getting stuck in moderation. I saw your post on chief delphi and came back to find it. Can you share screen shots of the model tree and graphics before and after the mirror component operation?

Madz
1-Newbie
(To:sm)

We tried it again to make a picture for you and it worked correctly this time, so I'm not sure what was happening. It didn't work many times before that! We have the two gears and a rack-and-pinion that are set up as mechanisms. They did not carry over to the mirror, though, and it didn't like the servo horn so we told it to omit it.

When we add these to the drive train, we are not how sure to connect them into one larger connected lift (see second picture). When we connect them by a Tetrix piece between the two arms that rotate up and down using a coincident constraint on a couple of the holes, then they either work for a little while and then one of them slips apart or the entire arm becomes stuck and won't rotate.

Thanks for your help.

Lift_1.png

Robot.png

Madz
1-Newbie

When it slips off, the structure sometimes breaks ever so slightly. This used two holes (one on each arm) as constraints and the face of the crossbar.

BrokenLift.png

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Okay, I understand what you are doing now. I am not a big fan of the mirror components command, especially when it involved mechanisms. That might just be me, being too particular about how the assembly is structured. I'm not exactly sure what the issue is at this point without seeing the model itself. Is there any chance you can share the model via your Windchill project or some other secure file sharing mechanism?

Top Tags