cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Sketch help...

ptc-5062701
1-Newbie

Sketch help...

I used to use Pro/E 2000i daily 10+ years ago. I haven't touched any CAD program in over 10 years but trying to teach students CAD basics and coupling that with a 3D printer. I just installed Creo 3.0 and I'm struggling with creating sketches. In creating sketches in Pro/E 2000i, I used to "use edge" a lot with the trimming functions or align a line with a face or plane that already existed in 3d. Do these still exist in the sketch functionality or do I have to let Creo dimension and then delete and re-dimension based on how I want to adjust my model? Thanks for teaching this old dog new tricks!

4 REPLIES 4

Hi Alan

usualy in Creo you draw the sketch and then dimension to suit, it does come up with some interesting default dimensions

but when you get used to it it seems pretty quick to just delete and redimension.

hope this helps

Jeremy

Alan,

A great strength of Creo 3.0 is the way it helps you create and manage robust sketch geometry.

All the time you are creating geometry, it looks for, and applies geometric constraints like parallel, perpendicular, equal lengths, etc.

Once you stop drawing geometry, and activate the 'Select' arrow, Creo displays the geometric constraints and applies 'weak' dimensions coloured light blue. Creo will not let you have an under or over-constrained sketch.

You can add your own dimensions which are a darker blue colour and Creo will remove and re-arrange the remaining, weak dimensions, If you drag geometry, the dimensions will change but you can prevent this by selecting a dimension then right clicking and from the floating menu click 'Lock'. Locked dimensions are brown in colour and will not allow you to change this value by dragging geometry. You can change a locked dimension by double clicking and typing in a new value.

If you create too many geometric/dimension constraints, Creo will open a Resolve Sketch dialog listing the constraints that clash, letting you decide which ones to remove.

I like to lock all dimensions creating a 'fully constrained' sketch so that nothing can change accidentally.

Dimensions.PNG

JohnF
4-Participant
(To:ptc-5062701)

Hi Alan

If I read you correctly I think you like to use features in the model to help create sketches. The CREO version of 'use edge' is Offset. You can create a line from an edge or , by adding an offset value a line parallel to the selected edge or curve.

tbrotherhood
4-Participant
(To:JohnF)

Project.PNG Project creates new referenced geometry coincident with the underlying geometry.

Offset.PNG Creates new referenced geometry at a distance you specify.

Top Tags