cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Variable Section Sweep

ptc-2020761
1-Newbie

Variable Section Sweep

I am having problems with using variable section sweep. Perhaps I am not understanding the purpose of this tool. Is it not the same as a regular sweep with different cross sections? When I try the variable section, I can't seem to draw more than one section, therefore it is only a constant section sweep. I can place the section along the path at different points, but I can't see any way to create more than one section at a time. Help!
2 REPLIES 2

Hi Wayne, There are a number of tutorials freely available on the web. here is on specific on Variable Section Sweep. Check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk-WPxRKhYg Thanks, Mark

>> VSS Variable Section Sweep Variable Section Sweep allows for a single sketch based on an Origin Curve and several 2d or 3d control curves to shape the section in terms of points that show up in the sketch X-section as it's swept along the main Origin Curve. >> Swept Blend The Swept Blend Feature allows you to select a single sketch or curve as your curve to sweep along. and then pick points that you want to sketch the X-sections for. You need a minnimum of 2 sketches at the start and end of the end of the origin curve. VSS example A simple example Cone can be created using a sketch with a horizontal line and an angled line on the Front Plane. To create the VSS Variable Section Sweep select the horizontal line as the origin curve and the angled line as the X-trajectory curve. After selecting these two curves you can hit the sketch icon in the Feature Ribbon bar and then sketch a circle from the origin point reference to the diameter reference point of the angled line. Swept Blend example To create the same cone discribed above you would only need a sketch with a single curve or line. After picking the curve to sweep along you can create 2 sketches internal to the feature at the start point and end point and dimension the circles for start and end diameters. This is much simpler method for the Cone example but you could add additional sketches at selected points along a curve using divide curve command which is the second flyout on the dynamic trim flyout. Or sketch separate entities every vertex of the sketch can be selected if desired to add tighter control or a change from a Circle made of 4 arcs to a rectangle with 4 lines. The only requirement is the number of entities needs to match up between each sketch. Blend Vertices can be used to blend a line into a point if you have fewer entities in any of your sketches. Michael
Top Tags