Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Justify Text Regions

Justify Text Regions

Mathcad has always lacked documentation features and there are probably to many to list, but adding a 'Justify' feature would improve aesthetics considerable in my opinion and would not take much effort.

15 Comments
VladimirN
23-Emerald II

Mike,

Could you please explain what "Justify" feature mean?

MikeArmstrong
4-Participant

Please see the simple example below.

Clipboard02.jpg

Justified text gives the document a clean, crisp look with sharp edges.

dBoggs
1-Newbie

Right justification is a typesetting gimmick used in things like books. It is purely aesthetic, it does not inprove readability (in fact reading tests have shown the opposite). Things like letters, notes, reports, etc. should not be right justified. I hope that PTC at least does not expend much effort on this if they succom to this mis-directed demand.

MikeArmstrong
4-Participant

Well that goes against move procedures, reports and documents alike I see in my industry.

DARYL BOGGS wrote:

Things like letters, notes, reports, etc. should not be right justified.

Says whom?

DARYL BOGGS wrote:

I hope that PTC at least does not expend much effort on this if they succom to this mis-directed demand.

Considering this is an option in most pieces of software which deal with text, I very much doubt it would take long to implement.

VladimirN
23-Emerald II

In the Prime 3.0 version there is an option "Align the text":

Pic_1.png

MikeArmstrong
4-Participant

So there is

That's how much notice I have taken of Prime so far. Well, another improvement over Prime.

dBoggs
1-Newbie

I agree that the option should be there. Just try not to abuse it. Do not assume that just because it "looks nice" or "looks like a page from a book" that it is better. The modern publishing trend is to avoid it. It is a gimmick. Try to notice a range of material from respected publishers and you will see that ragged right margins are more and more common these days. And say goodby to those awkard extra wide spaces that get inserted when text is justified in a narrow column, like a newspaper. Many newspapers have a mix of stories that are either justified or not (I don't know why). The stories that are not justified are actually easier to read, and studies have shown this. Have a look at almost any modern book on popular computing--they are almost always unjustified.

MikeArmstrong
4-Participant

Cheers for the insight. As you can see above this option is already included in Prime, so makes this 'Idea' 100% implemented

VladimirN
23-Emerald II

Vote Down!

MikeArmstrong
4-Participant

Maybe delete the idea folks if you both don't mind?

VladimirN
23-Emerald II

Of course delete them.

MikeArmstrong
4-Participant

There is no option to delete

VladimirN
23-Emerald II
ryankelley
1-Newbie

I've marked this idea as Current Functionality, no further action is required.

MikeArmstrong
4-Participant

Thanks Ryan