cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Error "Conversion failed. Could not start Mathcad conversion process".

Harry_Seth
15-Moonstone

Error "Conversion failed. Could not start Mathcad conversion process".

Issue:

• Error "Conversion failed. Could not start Mathcad conversion process" while converting legacy Mathcad worksheets in Mathcad Prime

OR

• Mathcad Prime with parallel installed Mathcad 15.0 does not convert .xmcd files to .mcdx with error message:
    Mathcad conversion process could not be started.

conv.jpg

Resolution:

There are two options to resolve this issue:

Option I:

• Find Mathcad Prime shortcut on desktop > right mouse click > Properties
  • Select Compatibility tab
  • Under Privilege Level section check option check Run this program as an administrator
  • Apply > OK

Option II:

• Click Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Component Services
  • Under Component Services, select Computers > My Computer > DCOM Config
  • Select Mathcad, right-click, then select Properties
  • Select the Security tab
  • Click #Edit under #Access Permissions
  • Select the System User and allow Remote Access rights
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GerardLardner
5-Regular Member
(To:VladimirN)

They did help, and remarkably quickly.

I don't know if this is universal or just my PC, but the AlfaSoft tech guy in Sweden checked to confirm that the Mathcad 8.0 Installation Assistant did indeed not run on my PC and that nothing obvious was blocking it. He then tried Mathcad Prime 9.0 and that did run, did install Mathcad Converter and... it works!

Could it be that there is an incompatibility between the Mathcad 8.0 Installation Assistant and Windows 11? I don't know. I just know that the problem was solved by upgrading me to Prime 9.0.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Ali_Ihsan
4-Participant
(To:Harry_Seth)

Hi,

I'm getting the same error. I'm trying to convert some Mathcad 15 files and use them in Prime 7.0.0.0 (trail license). 

Above solutions didn't work. Any idea how to convert them otherwise?

Cheers,

Ali

Hi Ali,

Read this article - "[Knowledge Hub] How to use the "XMCD, MCD Converter" application tool to convert worksheets which were created in earlier versions of Mathcad to Mathcad Prime?": https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS22570 

Ali_Ihsan
4-Participant

Thank you. I managed to convert the files.

You're welcome.

GerardLardner
5-Regular Member
(To:Harry_Seth)

Hi, I have a similar problem. Conversion fails every time. I have tried the steps above but with no success.

At first the message was that .NET 3.5 could not be found; it is installed; later it said "Conversion failed. Could not start Mathcad conversion process". The exceptions log file notes

Exception data:
System.Exception: E_FAIL_MATHCAD_COM_WAS_NOT_STARTED ---> System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'mcautomation.Application'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{0F8C5F99-AE35-11D1-B19D-0060971E663A}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).
at ConverterLoader.XmcdToMcdxConverter.StartMathcad15ComServer()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at ConverterLoader.XmcdToMcdxConverter.StartMathcad15ComServer()
at ConverterLoader.XmcdToMcdxConverter.TryConvertWorksheet(String originalFileName, String destinationFileName)
at ConverterLoader.XmcdToMcdxConverter.ConvertWorksheet(String originalFileName, String destinationFileName, String mathcadVersion)

The PC is a Dell Latitude 5540, Windows 11 Professional, Mathcad Prime 8, lots of engineering thermodynamics and music software installed.

Can you help?

GerardLardner
5-Regular Member

Hi ValdimirN, Thanks for the reply. No luck so far; the supportCentre leads me through a dozen or so completely unrelated help articles, which do not remotely address the issue. Attempting to open a support case either asks for a SCN or directs me back to the vendor (AlfaSoft) – PTC does not want to address issues affecting smaller business users who cannot justify a Service Contract.

I have spent 4 hours today trying to follow instructions from the PTC Support website and just going in circles. If I had not so many years of worksheets from Mathcad 2001-15, I would have ditched Prime years ago. It’s just too much hard work to get simple things to work.

If you bought a license through a vendor, then they should also help you with technical support (help with the opening of a new case, including):

GerardLardner
5-Regular Member

They did help, and remarkably quickly.

I don't know if this is universal or just my PC, but the AlfaSoft tech guy in Sweden checked to confirm that the Mathcad 8.0 Installation Assistant did indeed not run on my PC and that nothing obvious was blocking it. He then tried Mathcad Prime 9.0 and that did run, did install Mathcad Converter and... it works!

Could it be that there is an incompatibility between the Mathcad 8.0 Installation Assistant and Windows 11? I don't know. I just know that the problem was solved by upgrading me to Prime 9.0.

Glad you solved your problem.

Top Tags