cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

How to renew licence file on server running FlexNet

SB_10014675
1-Newbie

How to renew licence file on server running FlexNet

I am using Mathcad Prime 7.0 7.0.0.0

We have a new licence, but I do not know how to update the licence server. I think it is a FlexNet licence the existing licence will expire in 20 days

Here are the errors that I faced
No error just don't know who to do it.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @SB_10014675,

Save the new/updated text license file to <installation directory of Flexnet Admin license server>\licensing

Open the new license file and license.dat file located in <installation directory of Flexnet Admin license server>\licensing 

Copy the server and daemon line from license.dat file and replace it with the existing server and daemon line in new license file

Start the service create from Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Vipul

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:SB_10014675)

I think you don't need to update the license server. You just need to point to the new license file from within Prime:

LucMeekes_0-1629387431600.png

Success!
Luc

HI thank you but its a floating network licence that is used by a number of users and we have the 1 licence, would that work in this case as there is a FlexNet  on our licence server. 

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

if your licenses are on a FlexNet server, you will need to update the license file on the FlexNet server. Normally that is done by IT or your system admin.

Once they have the new license installed, MathCAD should pick it up the next time you start it.

Hi I am IT 🙂 but just been give the job of doing this and not done it before only been given a licence txt file and no hand over notes 😞 

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Welcome to the club!!!

You will need to locate the FlexNet server and then the License folder that contains the current license. There are some lines dealing with PTC_Daemon that need copied from the existing file to the new file. Once these are in place, rename the old file (I use the issue date appended to license: license-20210819.dat, for reference), then rename the new file to the old license name. Go to Services and restart the FlexNet process and it will pick up the new file and you are good to go.

HI thanks for this I see one line "DAEMON ptc_d __PTCD_PATH__" but its the same in the old and new Dat file. I tryed swapping the over, but it just will then not start the service, when I swap them back it works fine. could you point me at what lines I should be copying over thanks 

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

This should be a great resource for you.

Success!
Luc

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

There should be a SERVER line and a DAEMON line.

On the server line, replace __HOSTNAME__ with the name of your host computer.

The daemon line can be left alone.

Hi @SB_10014675,

Save the new/updated text license file to <installation directory of Flexnet Admin license server>\licensing

Open the new license file and license.dat file located in <installation directory of Flexnet Admin license server>\licensing 

Copy the server and daemon line from license.dat file and replace it with the existing server and daemon line in new license file

Start the service create from Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Vipul

Thank you all for you help 🙂 VipuIT was able to get it sorted with this one

Top Tags