cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

One licence that covers one user on one workstation and one tablet. The tablet when out of office.

ON_9551245
4-Participant

One licence that covers one user on one workstation and one tablet. The tablet when out of office.

I have one desktop station and one surface pro, that I'm using. The surface pro is my 'home' user and the desktop station is my main computer. On my workstation (desktop) I have prime 6.0.0.0 with one year licence type for single user. I upgraded the software from 6 to 7.0.0.0 and wanted to use the licence on it. In the weekend I used my Surface Pro to work on one of the files. This is Mathcad 7.0.0.0. When I was back on the office and wanted to open the file on workstation which is Mathcad 6.0.0.0, the file was not able to open. I installed Mathcad 7.0.0.0, but did not get the licence or resaved licence to work on my workstation. It is going to the Express.
Why is it not possible to have a licence that I (one person) could use on two different computer one licence at the time. We are in 2021 where big workstation and small tablets are possible to use. I do not take with me the workstation if it is not highly needed. On the go, I prefer the tablet (Surface Pro 3).

Kind regards
Ove

2 REPLIES 2
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ON_9551245)

I know that worksheets saved in Prime 7 cannot be read in Prime 6 (or 5 or 4 ...). I also know that from Prime 7 you cannot save a file in Prime 6 (or 5, or 4...) format. I guess PTC wants all their Prime customers to use (only) the latest version of the software.

I do not know if your license allows you to install the software on two different machines, I would guess not. PTC is happy to take money.

I remember reading that a license for a version of Prime will allow to run that version and any preceding versions of Prime. So with the license for Prime 7 on your laptop, you should also be capable of running Prime6 on that same laptop (the license file is generally tied to the network MAC address). So I think that you can install Prime6 on your laptop, to run in full, but it's a bit tricky. Prime versions must generally be installed in version order. So you have to (have) Prime 6 installed before Prime 7. If that's your case, then you can make use fo the procedure described here to create a Prime6 file from your Prime7 file using your laptop. Then subsequently make only use of Prime6 on both machine, or decide that you will throw another donation into the PTC money pit, to get a second license.

Success!
Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ON_9551245)

The type of license that you require exists, read here.

Success!
Luc

Top Tags