cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Trial License and limits in student editions

R2man
4-Participant

Trial License and limits in student editions

Good morning,

I have 2 questions.

Last July 14th, I downloaded and installed Mathcad Express with a 30-day trial license, but today it no longer works and seems to have expired after only a week. Is there any workaround to continue with this 30 day trial version (I have downloaded a new license file, but everything remains the same).

On the other hand, I am a professor at the Polytechnic University of Catalonia (Barcelona - Spain), and I wonder about the limitations that the student version may have, compared to the full version.

Thank you very much.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
12 REPLIES 12

@R2man,

There is no workaround to activate full functionality of Mathcad Prime using expired license. Once, your license gets expired you are eligible to use Mathcad Prime Express (limited functionalities).

And, as far as limitations are concerned for Student version, you can refer link shared by @terryhendicott above.

R2man
4-Participant
(To:rghadge)

Sorry, I forgot to say that the license expired in just 5 days, instead of the 30 advertised.

rghadge
15-Moonstone
(To:R2man)

@R2man,

For a trial license valid for 30 days should not ideally expire in 5 days. Could you share license file which you recieved?

R2man
4-Participant

Of course (.dat extension is not allowed and so I compressed the file in .zip).

Thanks for your help. In any case, I think, I have already made the decision to purchase the MathCad Prime Student Edition.

rghadge
15-Moonstone

@R2man,

Good to hear that you have planned to purchase Mathcad Prime Student edition. I took a look at your license file and it seems it is valid till 19th August, 2021. So, this license file should work for a month.

Please check whether you have pointed correct license file in "File > Options" or refer link https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad-Installation/How-to-Acquire-30-days-License-for-Mathcad-Prime-7-0/m-p/721613#M413 for the steps to configure Mathcad Prime with license file.

And, if you have anyway getting  Mathcad Prime Student edition purchased, do let know here if you need any further help on this post or whether it is okay to mark it as solved.

R2man
4-Participant

Hello

As you can see in te image, the error message is "Cannot checkout an uncounted license within a Windows Terminal Services guest session"

I wonder if the problem could be that Mathcad Prime is installed on my personal computer at the University, and now I am accessing it from home through the windows remote desktop.

If so, this would be a problem, because I always teach my classes this way, and I take the remote control of my personal computer, from the classroom computer.

Thank you very much

RR_9989628_0-1626859102029.png

rghadge
15-Moonstone

@R2man,

There are two types of licenses:
1. Node locked: Fixed to single machine

2. Floating license: You can install license server on server machine and float licenses to other machines in same domain network.

The license which you are using is node locked type of license. And, the error (-103), Cannot checkout an uncounted license within a windows terminal services guest session is expected when you use Mathcad configured with node locked license remotely (using terminal services like RDP -  Remote Desktop Protocol).

To avoid such error, you should physically use Mathcad on same machine where it is installed and configured with node locked license. Or, if you want to use Mathcad remotely then, you must purchase floating type license.

R2man
4-Participant

Thank you very much.

Indeed I have verified that the origin of the problem was to access my computer at the university where I installed MathCad remotely from home (now I am physically at the university and there are no problems with the free 30-day license).
The need for Mathcad is uniquely individual, and to have it installed exclusively on a single personal computer, but I would like to be able to use it remotely from any classroom equipped with a PC on which Mathcad would not be installed.
I suspect that a floating license is not a valid solution, as it would require installing Mathcad on each classroom computer, which I am not allowed.
I have verified that if I run Mathcad from my office before going to the classroom, and later take the remote control from there, everything works perfectly.
For this reason, I am still interested in acquiring the student edition, for which our university administration needs a budget or offer, to process the order. Could you send it to me, please?

Best Regards

rghadge
15-Moonstone

@rr_9989628,

Sorry, I do not have cost information of Mathcad. Probably, you can check with PTC Sales Team here https://www.ptc.com/en/contact-us.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Sorry Pressed the wrong button.

You will not regret buying the full product at academic pricing.

Cheers

Terry

Top Tags