cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Acoustic impedance Plot

Andrex_ITA
3-Visitor

Acoustic impedance Plot

All,

I'm trying to plot a graph of real and imaginary part of the acoustic impedance of an empty tube with a closed end.

This is the function of the Impedance and the graph I obtain:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:Andrex_ITA)

Hi, 

I used Mathcad 15 and I changed the data, to fit  to the graph you provided.

ANDREX_ITA answer.jpg

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

and this is what I expected:

Thank you very much if everyone can help me, I'm becoming half crazy tryng to obtain something similar to what I expect.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Attach you worksheet please. (See announcement to the right of this for instructions).
Mathcad will not plot imaginary parts of complex numbers. You need to use the Re () and Im () functions to separate the real and imaginary parts.

Success!
Luc

Mathcad can plot real and imaginary or magnitude and phase.  I have attached an example where the acoustic reflection is at oblique angles.  I've used Mathcad 14 for the calculations.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:JK_9625275)

That's my point.

You are showing the use of Re() and Im() functions.

The Im() function takes any complex number and converts it's imaginary part into a real number. And that can be plotted, (only) because it's a real number.

Luc

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Hi, 

I used Mathcad 15 and I changed the data, to fit  to the graph you provided.

ANDREX_ITA answer.jpg

Solved! Thank you very much!

I think I can't use the arg() function with the express version of prime 4.0, but at least I can plot the modulus correctly!

You are right. Re(), Im() and arg() are considered "Premium" functions and are not available in Express.

Fortunately the conjugate complex operator is not "Premium" and so you can easily define those "Premium" functions yourself in Prime Express:

Bild.png

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

This is a super community!

Andrea

What your picture shows is that you have plotted the magnitude |Z(omea)| over omega.

But what you ant to see ist the plot of Re(Z(omea)) and Im(Z(omea)). So simply write those expression instead of |Z(omea)|.

You can see it done in MC15 in Francescos answer above. Re() and Im() are built-in functions you can use out of the box.

Some additional remarks:

.) You have better control over the step width of omega in the plot if you define a range variable for omega

.) You may consider using units as well - thats what Mathcad and even Prime is really good at.

Top Tags