cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Mathcad 11

punmack
1-Newbie

Mathcad 11

Did PTC decide that Mathcad 11 single user edition is not going to be registered online anymore?

I did a reinstall on my computer with a copy I bought new. Mathcad 11 works fine and I am not willing to pay for a new edition.

How do I register my copy, or is PTC offering a free upgrade with a supported activation line?

5 REPLIES 5
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:punmack)

PTC support for Mathcad 11 has ended per april 1st (not a joke). I'd think: no need to register anymore. But what about the activation... did that run OK for you, or are you now using the 15 days grace time without activation?

Luc

I first deleted Mathcad from my computer, and reinstalled praying it would work. The prayer did not work needles to say.

PTC apparently did a very unkind thing, they disabled the registration line that is associated with the install algorithm.

Thus, no I did not get the install done, and I am angry! Not even Microsoft has been this bold, when I buy software I own it, now PTC says it is temporary until we disable it? Not supporting a product, and disabling the installation algorithm is two completely different things.

I'm hopping I am wrong, that PTC buying Mathsoft honors their previous customers.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:punmack)

Following the 11th commandment "Thou shallt make back-ups", you should have a backup of your system (preferrably from before you deleted Mathcad). That backup should contain the C-dilla directory and its contents. If you restore those contents (overwriting the present contents of it) Mathcad 11 should work again.

Success!
Luc

Yes, PTC will not register Mathcad 11 anymore, for those people who bought it under Mathsoft.

You can get a free examination of their latest version of Mathcad, but after an examination period you must pay for it, or the capability of the program will be crippled. The price for the latest version is 600 bucks or more, the last I saw.

So even though you may have paid for Mathcad 11, there is no way to transfer it from the initial computer to another. Sorry. Join in the growing crowd of angry, upset customers. LSM

How long do you expect them to keep the license server up and running? Mathcad 11 is well over a decade old, and uses a licensing scheme that was chosen by Mathsoft, not PTC. The last time I installed it was under XP mode in Win 7, and even that required some trickery. It will not install under a 64 bit OS, so the lack of a license server is moot. All software eventually becomes obsolete.

I am no fan of PTC, but dropping support for Mathcad 11 was inevitable.

Top Tags