cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Mathcad Prime 4 converter fail

arrphoto
4-Participant

Mathcad Prime 4 converter fail

I have Prime 4 up and running.  To convert legacy files, I installed Mathcad 15 like is says it needs.  Both work fine. However, the converter feature just doesn't work.  Every legacy file I try to convert says converstion failed, process aborted.  No other info.  I have not gotten any legacy file to convert.  So far conversion to Prime has been a bust.  These are simple files, maybe a jpg image or two.  Very Frustrating.

Curt Fortenberry

15 REPLIES 15

Can you open the file in Mathcad 15?

Sounds like something went wrong in your installation. But to be sure you may post here one of the legacy files which failed. If it failed for us, too, its the file. If not its your installation.

arrphoto
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

I've tried to attach a simple file, no graphics, and one that fails the converter process (actually, all do but this was a very simple equation file).  The file opens fine in MCAD 15.  But when I attach the file here to post, I get an error saying "content type does not match file extension".  Odd.  I did try to copy and paste from 15 to Prime, but it only comes in as a graphic.  

Curt Fortenberry

This new forum software has many drawbacks and we hope that PTC will get things sorted soon.

At the time being most of us (but not all) are bot able to uplod Mathcad or Prime files directly and get the very same error message you reported (see the discussion here).

Workaround so far is to put the file in a zip or rar archive and upload the archive 😞

arrphoto
4-Participant

Thanks, I'll try a zip file here.

Curt Fortenberry

As expected there was no problem converting your file - as I am using Prime 3.0 and not 4.0 - maybe someone with P40 can give it a try, too.

I attach the converted file and the log.

arrphoto
4-Participant

I agree, your conversion worked.  I'm now wondering if it's maybe me, unless Prime 4 has other issues.  So I'm assuming using the converter, I just pick the add worksheets button, add the file(s), and pick convert?  Am I missing something?  Thanks.

Curt Fortenberry

That's what the instructions say!

Note that my Prime 3.0 did not open the file.  The file converted and did open, once I found it and used Prime to open it.  The converter did not launch the file. 

@Fred_Kohlhepp wrote:

That's what the instructions say!

Note that my Prime 3.0 did not open the file.  The file converted and did open, once I found it and used Prime to open it.  The converter did not launch the file. 

Not sure what exactly you mean!? I am using Prime 3.0, too, and the converter never opens or launches the file it just converted. You always have to search it via the open file dialog (or by double clicking it in a file manager).

@arrphoto wrote:

I agree, your conversion worked.  I'm now wondering if it's maybe me, unless Prime 4 has other issues.  So I'm assuming using the converter, I just pick the add worksheets button, add the file(s), and pick convert?  Am I missing something?

No, thats exactly how you are supposed to do it.

Furthermore the converter should also be automatically installed to be accessible as a standalone program. But I guess if it doesn not worl from within Prime, it will also not work standalone.

As already written I don't use P40 and can't say anything about bugs in that version, but I guess that muser is using Prime 4.0 (otherwise his reply would not have made much sense) and had no problems convering your simple file.

I have no idea what the cause of your problem could be. I guess you installed the current version of Mathcad 15 (thats M045 at the time) - at least thats what you should have done.

I know that its a  hackneyed, banal and overused advice (and usually a sign of helplessness), but you may try to reinstall Prime and MC15 one after the other to see if the problem persists.

ppal
17-Peridot
(To:arrphoto)

Hi

I have come across conversion failures - on all files. It was when the software was "packaged" and rolled out in a business environment. Then it had to be fixed and rolled out again.

If it is a self install try reinstalling else get the IT crowd to have another go -

arrphoto
4-Participant
(To:ppal)

Thanks.  I do have R15_045.  The install was off the CD as we were having problems with the download from the PTC website.  I'll see about IT trying this again.

Curt Fortenberry

arrphoto
4-Participant

Just by coincidence, I got the PTC email that announced an update to Prime 4, version M010.  That version was installed and I tried the converter again.  All is good now.  The converter handles the files better than the first version of Prime 4.

Thanks for all the assistance.

Curt Fortenberry

ppal
17-Peridot

Converetd fine:

1. PIC2.png
vlehner
13-Aquamarine

For INFO:

I'm using MP4.0 and MC15-Version M045.