cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Mathcad Prime 5.0: some new updates

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Mathcad Prime 5.0: some new updates

I decided to start a new topic about the future version 5.0. Based on the new timeline (was dated February 2017), the release is scheduled for early 2018 year. And there is nothing new about the planned features of the 5.0 release.

Mathcad_Prime_Timeline_2017-02.png

Old thread "PTC Mathcad Prime Roadmap (2015/2016 update)": https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad-Blog/PTC-Mathcad-Prime-Roadmap-2015-2016-update/ba-p/446448

88 REPLIES 88
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:VladimirN)

Thanks for posting that Smiley Happy

The little bit of good news in there is that it says "Mathcad 15.0 will remain on Standard Support at least until the release of Mathcad Prime 5.0". So the longer it is until they release Prime 5.0, which at this point I don't care about, the longer they will support Mathcad 15.

mc_prime5.JPG

DJF
16-Pearl
16-Pearl
(To:skunks)

I've been told June 6th, 2018 for 5.0.  We shall see.  

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I
(To:DJF)

And what will 5.0 have?

graph titles?

graphs with grid lines?

Can write older Prime files?

be still my heart!

@Fred_Kohlhepp wrote:

And what will 5.0 have?

The main question seems to be if Mathcad 15 will still be supported after Prime 5.0. Guess yes, but who knows.

@Fred_Kohlhepp wrote:

And what will 5.0 have?

What it will not have is a licensing scheme that is acceptable to me. So what new (or new old) features it has are irrelevant.

Seems like there will be some relevant information at the end of June

https://go.eacpds.com/acton/media/25728/180627-creating-plots-in-mathcad-prime-5-webinar-mathcad-15-

DJF
16-Pearl
16-Pearl
(To:Androcles)

I can confirm that about all we are getting in 5.0 is 2D plotting.  I briefly saw an demo and the plotting options looks pretty good.  But it's sounding like full 15 capability is still 3-4 years off.  Probably get pull-downs and buttons next year.  

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

It's taken them 7 1/2 years to get this far, and in the last 1 1/4 years all they have done is improve the 2D plots. You are dreaming if you think you will get all the capabilities of MC15 in 3-4 years. 3D plots will be a lot more work than 2D plots, so give them 2 years just for that. Scripted components, another 2 years. oops! The 4 years are up!

SteenGroðe
6-Contributor

I was not invited for any beta test this time as well, so just one thing on the 3D graphics. If I am not wrong some of the code in Mathcad 3D graph is 8bit and maybe even undocumented as Mathsoft had it build by somebody else (I can't remember which company and they are probably also long gone). Also it contrains a few tricks here and there. So they will have to make that all over. If they didn't have to make it backwards compatible it shouldn't be all that difficult to do, but... well there will probably some reactions when all the old 3D sheets does not work.
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:SteenGroðe)

@SteenGroðe wrote:
I was not invited for any beta test this time as well

Hi Steen. Long time no see. It's nice to know that if I was singled out for banishment from the testing group, at least I wasn't the only one Smiley LOL

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Today is June 13, but so far nothing is available.

Pic.png

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Well, the calendar does only say June.  There is still 2 1/2 weeks left.

Well, prime 5 was released today, i went to download it and test (we are still using mathcad 15 in my company due to limited features in prime) and it wasnt available.  After speaking with PTC they have shelved it another week due to a bug.  Are any of you surprised?  🙂

@mwalther wrote:

Well, prime 5 was released today, i went to download it and test (we are still using mathcad 15 in my company due to limited features in prime) and it wasnt available.  After speaking with PTC they have shelved it another week due to a bug.  Are any of you surprised?  🙂

After all we are talking about PTC. The company which released Prime 1.0 - a useless software being just one big bug - and they seriously took real money for it.

And now they withdraw P5 because of a bug!

YES, I am surprised 😉

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

Any piece of software of any complexity has bugs. So if PTC will not release Prime 5.0 until it has no bugs, that could explain a lot about how long it has taken Smiley LOL.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:RichardJ)

From experience I know:

It takes less time to create a bug than to fix it...

Luc

vroberts
6-Contributor
(To:mwalther)

I also received an email today from my reseller stating that 5.0 was available. However, like you, when I went to my download page it was not there.  It would be nice of they tested in house or with a stable of beta testers before announcing the release and using customers to test the product.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:vroberts)

I was an alpha and beta tester for every version of Prime up to and including 4 (and many versions of real Mathcad, back to the Mathsoft days). I didn't get invited to the party for 5.0. It's entirely possible that's because my increasingly vocal dislike of Prime finally annoyed PTC enough that they uninvited me from the test team. Or perhaps they just dropped the beta test team altogether. All the same to me, because once they went to a subscription only model I was going to decline any invitation anyway.

i was faster Smiley Happy

mp5_01.JPG

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Vladimir
Can you also show the archived product calender for Mathcad. I wonder what it says about older products. ..

Thanks!
Luc

And here it is.

Calendar archive.png

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Thanks Vladimir.

Not only the future, but also the past of Mathcad is eradicated.

Luc

I've been in e-mail conversation with a PTC CREO salesman.  Quoting his last response:

Thank you for reaching back. Please let me know if there is anything that can be done to improve your experience with MathCAD. I do not cover the MathCAD product, but I work closely with the Representatives who do. I do know that there will be an update to the tool in June (Prime 5.0).

At least we now know that there are still plans. . . 

@Fred_Kohlhepp wrote:

At least we now know that there are still plans. . . 

We know only that the sales reps have been told there are plans Man Wink

They wouldn't lie to their sales reps, would they?  Man Surprised

Never. And sales reps never lie to or mislead their customers either. This is a well known fact.

You read that on the internet, right?

Exactly. The spring of eternal truth.

Top Tags