cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Natural Trig Functions

ptc-6655188
1-Newbie

Natural Trig Functions

Is there a function for natural trig outputand not radians ie sine(45)=.70711?

22 REPLIES 22
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-6655188)

Like this?

Clipboard01.jpg

yes

That works. Thanks much!

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-6655188)

You are welcome.

You may also use the degree sign ° instead of deg, if thats more natural for you.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

To follow up on Werners suggestion, the degree sign can be inputted using the shortcut Alt+0176.

Mike Armstrong wrote:

To follow up on Werners suggestion, the degree sign can be inputted using the shortcut Alt+0176.

Or (depending on you national keyboard) by simply pressing the appropriate key 🙂

Better

sin.png

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ValeryOchkov)

Not a chance

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Not a chance

Why not?

Not that big a problem with symbolic evaluation in Mathcad 15 and below, where you can hide keywords and let the evaluation look like an =

You have to define the degree sign, because the symbolics doesn't know about that "unit".

1.png

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Just seems a little too much effort for little reward

No, it was a numeric answer

sin1.png

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Werner Exinger wrote:

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Or (depending on you national keyboard) by simply pressing the appropriate key 🙂

Hahahaha - superb Werner.

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Werner Exinger wrote:

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Hahahaha - superb Werner.

When I was new to this forum I often wondered why people would prefer writing deg instead of the usual degree sign °. It took me a while until I realized that the degree sign is missing on the English keyboard layout and therefore its only available by an uncomfortable series of keystrokes and/or by copy and paste.

On German keyboards its at the upper left next to the 1 and easily accessible. Many other national keyboard layouts support the degree sign, too.

2.png

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I have never really noticed it was missing as I have always used the shortcut.

Another English trait hey!!!!!

Mike Armstrong wrote:

I have never really noticed it was missing as I have always used the shortcut.

Another English trait hey!!!!!

Just looked it up. It seems the ° is missing on the US keyboard, on the UK keyboard its on the 0-key accessible with AltGr-0.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Werner Exinger wrote:

Just looked it up. It seems the ° is missing on the US keyboard, on the UK keyboard its on the 0-key accessible with AltGr-0.

That doesn't work for me.

It's Alt+0176 = ° or if you want a bigger one Alt+0186 = º

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Werner Exinger wrote:

So the information here is not correct? http://ascii-table.com/keyboard.php/168

It's Alt+0176 = ° or if you want a bigger one Alt+0186 = º

The latter is not recognized as degree by Mathcad and may look, depending on the program, like an underlined degree sign - in MC it looks normal.

Here what the two characters look like in Word - guess its dependable on the used code page.

0.png

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Werner Exinger wrote:

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Werner Exinger wrote:

So the information here is not correct? http://ascii-table.com/keyboard.php/168

No I don't think so. My keyboard does not have a degree sign anywhere.

Or, in MC15 (Prime ?), you can use inset unit from the toolbars as shown below: degree_unit.png

It works for numerical results as per the original request.

HARVEY HENSLEY wrote:

Or, in MC15 (Prime ?)

Prime

D.png

It was a computer Wang 2200 - see please http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wang_2200 (a Russian version Искра-125 see the picture). I have created the first my simulator with it.

The BASIC of this computer has three operators

SELECT R (default, as in Mathcad now)

SELECT D (degree)

SELECT G (grad: 2pi=400 grad)

One my student has selected not SELECT D (for sin(45) etc) but SELECT G (G - градус [gradus] degree in Rusian).

It was very interesting to see, how this student has tried to debug a program

It was also a good joke for 1-th April!

grad.png

http://profit.kz/Content/Images/PCmuzeum29Iskra226.jpg

Top Tags