cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Problem with give/find

ptc-6700926
1-Newbie

Problem with give/find

Hi, I am using mathcad 15 and am having an issue when using a given/find statement to solve a system of equations. I've constructed my equations and set them into the statement but keep getting a error that says "this variable is undefined". I traced the error to k5 but I checked and it seems to be defined. Can anyone see what my problem is? Thanks for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

1) You have a unit mismatch. m.i*g is force (N, or kg*m/s^2) but k.i is kg/(m^2*s^2) and x.i are dimensionless.

So either let the vector x be m^3 or set the unit for k.i to N.

2) The last line in your solve block is nonsense. How can a row vector (1x5 matrix) equal a scalar (sum of the five vector elements of x)? Furthermore you already have five equation for your five variables.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

1) You have a unit mismatch. m.i*g is force (N, or kg*m/s^2) but k.i is kg/(m^2*s^2) and x.i are dimensionless.

So either let the vector x be m^3 or set the unit for k.i to N.

2) The last line in your solve block is nonsense. How can a row vector (1x5 matrix) equal a scalar (sum of the five vector elements of x)? Furthermore you already have five equation for your five variables.

Thank you, I got it working now.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-6700926)

When I receive a problem with a solve block I break it down and evaluate both side (if required) to see what the issue is, see attached. As Mathcad's error message do not really tell us much, I find this the easiest way to check if unit compatibility is the issue.

As x is dimensionless, the unit error clearly lies with k.

Top Tags