cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

two equations, two unknowns, known quantities not being used

ptc-6698022
1-Newbie

two equations, two unknowns, known quantities not being used

I am trying to use the Solve Block, but it is apparently just spitting my guesses back out as the solution. It is not taking into acount the known values. I haven't used MathCAD since ~2007, so I'm frustrated by Prime 3.0. the known values are the Droad....R. The guesses were Smc, and mu

I've tried drastically changing the known quantities, only to see no change in the output. I also tried moving the known quantities outside the Solve Block. Am I using the wrong "="sign ?

I back-checking someone else's work(and relearning some MathCAD) and I know what values they obtained using a similar method.

SkidProblem.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Please don't attach pictures - attach your worksheet when asking.

You have to use Find(Smc,mu)= at the end of your solve block. You may assign the result to the vector [Smc; mu] to be able to use the results in further calculations.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Please don't attach pictures - attach your worksheet when asking.

You have to use Find(Smc,mu)= at the end of your solve block. You may assign the result to the vector [Smc; mu] to be able to use the results in further calculations.

See attached worksheet.

. Thanks for your help.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-6698022)

Have a look at the attached. You has missing a multiplication sign after g.

Werner gets the correct answer because I was using the software incorrectly and he fixed that.

Mike gets the helpful answer because you spotted my syntax error.

I'd split the points if i could.

Thanks to both of you.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Don't worry about the points. The main thing is that you got your solution and learned something from the help received.

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Don't worry about the points. The main thing is that you got your solution and learned something from the help received.

Fully agreed on. I guess that there are not much people here who really care for those points. They not even can act as an indicator as we get more points for just posting than we get additionally for a helpful or correct answer. So we get the majority of those points for the numer of postings and not for their quality. And after all there is nothing useful we could turn those points in for 😉

While that may be true, I would think it shows that you each can reliably post helpful answers. People reward you for your efforts. Just like an approval rating.

Thanks regardless. I gotta get re-familiarized with MathCAD. I haven't used it since I was in grad school.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

J Dezman wrote:

While that may be true, I would think it shows that you each can reliably post helpful answers. People reward you for your efforts. Just like an approval rating.

Thanks regardless. I gotta get re-familiarized with MathCAD. I haven't used it since I was in grad school.

It probably hasn't moved on much since then

J Dezman wrote:

Sure you are right in that its some kind of indicator.

What I meant was that I get 5 points for any post I send in, regardless its usefulness. I even get 10 points if I post a video of a Mathcad animation. And on the other hand I can get additional 3 points for a correct answer. So that system favors quantity over quality. But it doesn't matter anyway and when I look at my points all I see is that I should go and get a life 😉

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Werner Exinger wrote:

J Dezman wrote:

Sure you are right in that its some kind of indicator.

What I meant was that I get 5 points for any post I send in, regardless its usefulness. I even get 10 points if I post a video of a Mathcad animation. And on the other hand I can get additional 3 points for a correct answer. So that system favors quantity over quality. But it doesn't matter anyway and when I look at my points all I see is that I should go and get a life 😉

Hahahahaha - yes indeed.

I did remember querying this with Dan when we moved over here and raising the point(sorry) that quality should come over quantity.

It can be found here

http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-1154#comment-3301

I did remember querying this with Dan when we moved over here and raising the point(sorry) that quality should come over quantity.

It can be found here

http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-1154#comment-3301

I remember that thread. The concept never changed and main justification for it was that it should encourage users to post - a nice way to admit that quality isn't prior-ranking. Anyway, thats nothing important at all, just something we can shake ours heads over.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Werner Exinger wrote:

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Fully agreed on. I guess that there are not much people here who really care for those points. They not even can act as an indicator as we get more points for just posting than we get additionally for a helpful or correct answer. So we get the majority of those points for the numer of postings and not for their quality. And after all there is nothing useful we could turn those points in for 😉

Points usually equal prizes

I have noticed on other forums that they actually count the number pf helpful and correct answers and show that under your avatar. Maybe an idea for forum Ryan Kelley

I have noticed on other forums that they actually count the number pf helpful and correct answers and show that under your avatar. Maybe an idea for forum Ryan Kelley

Careful! - Too many different entries and statistics tend to be rather confusing. Some forums also count and tell all how many articles of yours were liked by others. I would rather get rid of all that social media crap as it distracts and doesn't help at all with the goal of the forum. Given the goal is helping people with Mathcad problems and interchange of ideas concerning that software.

Unfortunately nowadays many forums think that its better to go the social media way - I simply don't understand why.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Werner Exinger wrote:

Careful! - Too many different entries and statistics tend to be rather confusing. Some forums also count and tell all how many articles of yours were liked by others. I would rather get rid of all that social media crap as it distracts and doesn't help at all with the goal of the forum. Given the goal is helping people with Mathcad problems and interchange of ideas concerning that software.

Unfortunately nowadays many forums think that its better to go the social media way - I simply don't understand why.

I have to agree, It means nothing and as you said there is no reward, so personally I do not see point.

Top Tags