Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official PTC Mathcad 15 and Prime 1–6 End-of-Sale Announcement

amcgough
5-Regular Member

Official PTC Mathcad 15 and Prime 1–6 End-of-Sale Announcement

Hi Mathcad community members,

For those of you who don't know me (some do), my name is Andrew McGough and I'm the product manager for Mathcad here at PTC. I have talked to some of you in the past individually, but I don't get to participate as much as I'd like on the community. I hope this announcement is the start of me being able to be more active here.

I would like to share with you that PTC is announcing the end-of-sale for the following versions of PTC Mathcad, effective December 31, 2021:  

• Mathcad 15 
  • Mathcad Prime 1.0 – Prime 6.0  

Effective January 1, 2022, the only version of PTC Mathcad available for subscription will be PTC Mathcad Prime 7 and future versions of PTC Mathcad Prime. After December 31, 2021, PTC will no longer have the right to sell or distribute software versions moving to end of sale due to a third-party component contained in those versions. 

I appreciate the passion of our Mathcad userbase, so I would like to pass along some additional information on a helpful offer. If you currently have a subscription license and wish to continue using your current version of PTC Mathcad while you evaluate Mathcad Prime 7we are offering a multi-year renewal option that will give you the ability to use your current version for up to four additional years. If you decide to take advantage of this offer, it is important to place the order prior to December 7, 2021 to ensure no issues in booking the order or the subscription start date. PTC may decline or be unable to process orders received after that date. Please contact your PTC account representative or PTC partner for more information. 

Please bear in mind that the use of old versions of software does introduce implicit risk in areas of security, hardware, and software platform support. 

PTC will continue to provide technical support access, phone assistance and expert input for versions of Mathcad that have reached end-of-sale. PTC will not be able to issue new licenses or provide access to software downloads for end-of-sale versions. 

Our customers in English-speaking countries received the End-of-Sale announcement on February 17, 2021Our global customers are receiving the localized communication now. 

We have put together multiple resources for you to answer your questions. Please refer to our FAQ for more information. We know this is a big change so the Mathcad team will be monitoring this thread for feedback.

Best regards, 

Andrew McGough, 

Product Manager, PTC 

15 REPLIES 15
VladimirN
23-Emerald III
(To:amcgough)

I have yet to try Prime 7 but prior versions of Prime will not convert MathCad 15 into a functional worksheet so I have not adopted Prime so far.  If, as I suspect, Prime 7 is still not able to convert my MC15 sheets which use checkboxes and radio buttons etc. then I will use the 4 remaining years of MC15 access to convert to either Maple or Mathematica.  Well done PTC, you have finally driven me away!!

They have not written a version of Mathcad for macOS since Mathcad 6, so until they do, they will be missing 40% of the desktop market that do not use Microsoft Windows. It was a great program until Mathsoft was purchased by PTC, then it went downhill from there.

amcgough
5-Regular Member
(To:DaveSeddon)

Hi Dave,

Mathcad Prime 7.0 contains a combo-box input control that Mathcad 15.0 web control checkboxes and radio buttons will also convert to using if those are what you are using in the Mathcad 15.0 worksheet you're converting. If the combo-box input control UI in Prime 7.0 is acceptable for you, it may hep you transition to Prime. This doesn't mean we're not planning on adding checkboxes and radio buttons in future versions of Mathcad Prime.

Many thanks,

Andy.

Andy,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I have now looked at the combo box and this will work as a replacement for radio buttons and checkboxes to a degree.  There are two other key omissions from Prime 7.0 and these are animation capabilities and components such as ODBC embedding or equivalent.  Excel is supported so this offers a partial solution but animation is a must for me for two reasons.  Visualization of dynamic results and scenario analysis where I use FRAME as a means of stepping though a number scenarios and saving the result to a CSV file.  I can run this for many different scenarios and save much time in the process.  I do not see an equivalent method to use in Prime and this would be a show stopper for me.

intern1
5-Regular Member

Will Mathcad 15 no longer be able to run? I have Mathcad 15 as well as Prime 7. After December will 15 no longer function on my desktop? 

intern1
5-Regular Member
(To:intern1)

I am also wondering if the license I have for 7 will no longer work to use Mathcad 15?

amcgough
5-Regular Member

Hi,

If you have a subscription license for Mathcad, when your renewal occurs after the end of this year, the new license you'll be sent will activate Prime 7.0 (or the latest version of Prime, when you renew) only. This means, for example, that if you have a 2-year Mathcad subscription that started or renewed in June 2021, you can use that license to run Mathcad 15.0 up until June 2023. When your renewal then occurs, the new subscription license you get will activate the latest version of Prime (Prime 9.0 will release in March 2023) back to Prime 7.0 only.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any other questions or concerns about this transition.

Thanks,

Andy.

amcgough
5-Regular Member

To clarify, if you have a perpetual Mathcad license, this will not impact your use of Mathcad 15.0 - you can continue to use that after the end of this year.

Many thanks,

Andy.

Max
4-Participant
4-Participant

Thanks for posting, @amcgough .

Mathcad is one of my favorite applications and many of the advanced features are heavily relied upon by my organization.

We are planning to upgrade to Mathcad Prime 7.0  later in the year; however, we are still running Mathcad Prime 6.0 in production.

If we update our license manager with new license pack up'reved for Prime 7.0  which does NOT include:

#254 Mathcad Image Processing Prime 6.0
#255 Mathcad Data Analysis Prime 6.0
#256 Mathcad Signal Processing Prime 6.0
#257 Mathcad Wavelets Prime 6.0

Will these advanced features continue to run in Prime 6.0 if I load the new license pack that has been up'reved for 7.0?

I have not used Mathcad since migrating to the Macintosh as Mathcad has not been on the Macintosh since Version 6. Virtualization is not currently an option because Microsoft does not license Windows 10 on ARM for M1 Macintosh computers and there is no reason why to limiting Mathcad to only a 60% marketshare of desktops.

akelly
9-Granite

This is unfortunate.  After 7 releases of Mathcad Prime (and 11 years of development), it still hasn't reached feature parity with Mathsoft's pinnacle release. Mathcad Prime is essentially an ongoing public beta test.

Mathsoft's Mathcad was a word processor (e.g. Word, WordPerfect, etc.) that could do live math and plots.  The text styles, bullets & numbering, page formatting (headers, footers, etc.) and polished plot formatting made professional-quality documents. And the customization offered in the user-defined unit system made unit management virtually transparent.

Sure, PTC has added some new features to Mathcad Prime, but none of that us useful enough to make up for the lack of text styles, default unit systems that aren't convenient, and horrible looking plots.  No matter how hard you try, output from all of the Mathcad Prime releases is poorer quality vs. the Mathcad 15 benchmark.

If you're going to cut people off of Mathcad 15, then you'd better spend effort focusing on word processing features, page formatting, and plot formatting and user-defined unit system customization for the Prime 8 release.  Lack of those features makes Mathcad Prime harder to use.  It costs time (and money) to do manual formatting and constant fiddling with result units. It's hard to imagine that PTC still hasn't grasped this.

bigjim01
3-Visitor
(To:akelly)

It does seem like the Mathcad Prime series has been problematic. From some of documentation that I have seen, it has a very poor rendering engine as compared to other software. The price of the software has skyrocketed since the Windows 3.1 days and it no longer has an appropriate benefit/price performance that it once had. Mathcad is not the only piece of software that has exponentially increased in price. Price as well as the limitation to Windows has really made Mathcad a niche software status and no longer viable as an Engineers Electronic notebook. I am sure that there are some open source programs that will fit the bill quite nicely that Mathcad once did.

Raiko
13-Aquamarine
(To:bigjim01)

Sad as it is, MC Prime has lost all the versatility of MC 15 and is therefore in no scenario a suitable replacement for MC 15. PTC never listened to customers in this regard and therefore ending previous versions of prime and MC15 has the appearance of another attempt to force prime onto customers.

bigjim01
3-Visitor
(To:Raiko)

That does appear to be the case. It seems as though they have abandoned the market that Mathcad was ideally suited. It is a shame really. I hope that PTC has enough income from Mathcad to keep the product on the market. Because of their decisions, I will just use a spreadsheet for my calculations as it is more cost effective.
Announcements
NEW FORUM dedicated to Mathcad Installation topics now available!