cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

1 ft Not Equal to 12 in

coberg
6-Contributor

1 ft Not Equal to 12 in

I have noticed that both in the older versions of Mathcad, as well as the new Prime versions, there is an issue when using both feet and inches units in a worksheet.  It appears that in mathcad 1 ft is not exactly equal to 12 in (if you evaluate ft = 12in, the return vaule is 0).  I am assuming that this is a result of 1in being equal to 0.08333333333 ft.  This can become an issue when using the rounding functions when things are evenly divisible.  For example, 10 ft / 12in calculates to 10.000000000000002.  If you were to evaluate  ceil(10ft / 12in) the result would be 11 NOT 10.  Is there any way to resolve the internal threshold/rounding issue? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:coberg)

In Mathcad 15, go to "Tools", "Worksheet options", the "Calculation" tab, and uncheck "Use exact equality for comparisons and truncation". In Prime go to the "Calculation" tab, and select "Approximate equality" under "Calculation options".

I have this set this way in my default document template.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:coberg)

In Mathcad 15, go to "Tools", "Worksheet options", the "Calculation" tab, and uncheck "Use exact equality for comparisons and truncation". In Prime go to the "Calculation" tab, and select "Approximate equality" under "Calculation options".

I have this set this way in my default document template.

coberg
6-Contributor
(To:RichardJ)

Thank you Richard!  This solved the issue.  I am just surprised that Mathcad doesn't handle these units better and that there is not some internal rounding/tolerance done to prevent this.  Thank you for the answer!

Top Tags