cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

2-D plot resolution

pzimpelman
1-Newbie

2-D plot resolution

I made a shear and moment diagram plot in mathcad and it should look like this:

shear.JPG

However, in mathcad, mine is looking like this:

shear.JPG

The problem, in particular is that on the moment diagram at about x= 1" there's a "knee" in the moment diagram that shouldn't be there.

Does anyone know the cause of the "knee?" Anyway to increase the resoltion of the plot?

17 REPLIES 17
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:pzimpelman)

What happens when x = gap? The definition of v is the issue.

Please upload a worksheet.

Thanks for your response

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

You don't show how x is defined, but looking at the graph I'll guess it's a range variable 0*in,1*in..15*in. So you get a point every 1 inch. Make the increment much smaller, say 0*in,0.01*in..15*in.

If that's not the problem, please post a worksheet.

How exactly would you decrease the increment?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

See attached.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Don't rely on the quickplot feature of Mathcad. It gets lots of people into trouble. Use a range variable to define the x-axis range and increment.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Maybe that is a flaw with the quickplot feature. I think the user should be able to change the quickplot scale, to allow as in this instance, the increment to be reduced.

It's because of the units. Quickplot seems to get confused by units. I personally never use it, because it's too unpredictable.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Richard Jackson wrote:

It's because of the units. Quickplot seems to get confused by units. I personally never use it, because it's too unpredictable.

Poor behavior if you ask me

Richard Jackson wrote:

The quickplot normally has a quite nice adaptive way to chose the number of points and for some nasty functions it was hard to duplicate the (good) quickplot results using range variables.

But when using units the quickplot feature usually fails badly.

We can see what happens when we format the plot to show the individual points while its unclear why this happens.

Even more confusing is the "solution". Curiously its not a modification on the abscissa but on the ordinate. Simply multiplying the quickplot variable by the unit makes the feature work again. But the calculation time for the second plot in this example is quite prohibiting.

So normally the advice not to rely on the quickplot feature but use your own range is sure a good one.

Quickplot.png

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

Interesting solution

But the calculation time for the second plot in this example is quite prohibiting.

That's easily fixed.

Richard Jackson wrote:

Interesting solution

Yes and the question is what x-values the function is fed with when we use the quickplot and why adding the unit in the function call changes the spacing on the abscissa. Mysterious!

But the calculation time for the second plot in this example is quite prohibiting.

That's easily fixed.

Ok, in case of this function its really easy 🙂

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Tom posted a worksheet that showed how to convert an integral with a variable limit to an ODE, which makes it much faster. I can't locate the thread though, and (regrettably) I didn't keep a copy of the worksheet.

Richard Jackson wrote:

Tom posted a worksheet that showed how to convert an integral with a variable limit to an ODE, which makes it much faster. I can't locate the thread though, and (regrettably) I didn't keep a copy of the worksheet.

This one?

http://communities.ptc.com/message/78968#78968

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

That wasn't the one I was thinking of, but it will work. Mostly, anyway. The worksheet fails in MC15, so I'll have to figure out why.

Edit. Because the Mupad symbolics return a result that the numeric processor does not understand. So I'm not sure there's an easy fix.

It's clearly a resolution problem. Presumably a low resolution has been set because the Moment integration takes too long otherwise. But the integration is simple to do analytically, so:

vM.PNG

If you set n to 20 in the above you get the same corner cut-offs in M as in your original.

Alan

Thanks!

Top Tags