cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

2D images to 3D surface point cloud

PE_9895069
3-Visitor

2D images to 3D surface point cloud

Has any one used MathCad to take 2D images (e.g., bitmaps) and render a 3D point cloud from them? Is this do-able with MathCad? 

5 REPLIES 5

"Old" mathcad could read image files into matrices, these commands are still in Prime.  Reading two or more 2D images and discerning point-by-point coordinates from them would be theoretically feasible, but mathematically challenging.  I don't recall seeing anything so ambitious! 

Well...I'm thinking of a constrained situation where the 2D images are all a priori correlated to each other...

I'm thinking of a constrained situation where the 2D images are all a priori correlated to each other...

Clearly there would have to be a correlation between the images.  In drafting you need three orthogonal views, front, end, and top.  (XZ view, YZ view, and XY view.)  Clear datums and scale markers between views would be required to develop three dimensional coordinates (X, Y, Z) from those three views for each point of interest.  So you get two coordinates for a point in each view and (hopefully) the same value shows up between views; 

• Z is the same between XZ and YZ,
  • X is the same between XZ and XY,
  • Y is the same between XY and YZ

Challenging!

It may help if you put together a few examples of what you would like to accomplish, preferably along with examples of the desired output 3D result.

And I agree with Fred - it sounds challenging 😉

The overall process flow of the system from 2D Image into 3D point cloud. To test on the proposed methodology, two real objects are captured as images for trial run in order to obtain results. The first is an image of a hot cup cover and the second is an image of component from grass trimmer.

Top Tags